seating depth question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
milkman
.204 Ruger Guns: remington model 700

seating depth question

Post by milkman »

I shoot a model700 .204 and have excellent results, I changed to a bel and carleson stock, did trigger work and reload precision rounds. My problem w with the gun is that it came with an extremely long throat. Until I rebarrel the gun I can't even get close to the lands... accuracy is great but can I expect better when I rebarrel?
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: seating depth question

Post by RAMOS »

Define extremely long throat and great accuracy. It is, however, pretty much accepted that the 204R does well with generous bullet jump.
milkman

Post by milkman »

Hey Ramos, out to 150 yards I can stack on top one another, I just recently have reached the 450 yards range but can average7-8 inch groups.... the throat is so long that my hornady oal gauge is useless. The max c.o.l. for the caliber is 2.260 can i safely load longer?
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I'm not Ramos, and don't play him on TV :wink: but.....

That 2.26 is an arbitrary number....it will count of course if you're loading for an AR magazine......

The rule of thumb I've always known is that you should have one diameter of the bullet seated in the neck of the case.....e.g. with the .204 you'd want to have at least that much seated into the neck.

You might try seating it out as far as possible....keeping the .204" in the neck....try that, and then move it further in, or vice versa.

The whole concept of "touching the lands" and "jamming" doesn't seem to be relevant for our .204 Ruger cartridge....

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I believe unless you had a custom chamber done, with a short throat, you will never get a 204 bullet out far enough to touch the lands. Bill K
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

milkman wrote: The max c.o.l. for the caliber is 2.260 can i safely load longer?
My 700 is most accurate with a COL of 2.306. I tried about 5 different seating depths and that was the one that worked the best.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

FWIW, both my .204s were happy with bullets well off the lands. 32gn VMaxs would have to be out of the case to reach the lands in the savage, but I could count on 0.5" groups, and if I was shooting well, 0.3" (5-shot groups). I'm not a particularly good shooter, and everything I do is off a bipod. Never bothered measuring for the AR, because I load to magazine length, and get the same results.

As always, YRMV...
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

If I'm a television star, why am I always short of gun money?

Jumping to the lands does not present an accuracy issue for this cartridge. That is well documented. What I don't understand is, why it is an issue with some cartridges and not with others?
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

RAMOS wrote: What I don't understand is, why it is an issue with some cartridges and not with others?
The 204 Ruger is special and unique, like the people that shoot it. :D
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Ah, finally an answer that makes sense! :)
milkman

Post by milkman »

Thanks fellas , I'm gonna burn some powder this weekend, I'll post the results...
milkman

Post by milkman »

So, i made some new loads yet have not gone past the listed max col of 2.26 but i like the load alot so far. 40 gr. berger with 28.3 gr w748, remington brass and fed 7 1/2 benchrest primers...shot 2 different sessions this weekend and was quite happy with my results. I will post the results as soon as i figure out the pic posting deal. I will keep experimenting and perhaps seat even a little farther to see what happens.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

You will only have to go beyond 2.260" if you use Berger 50 and 55 grain HPBT bullets. Then the problem will be to stabilize them in a 1-12" twist, which won't happen, so accuracy will be dismal (a 1:8" twist is best for these heavy bullets). As far as I can deduce (guess) is that the long throat is a pressure moderation feature, similar to Weatherby's free bored barrels. Why it allows for better accuracy may be due to the fact that the high pressure/velocity gas surrounds the bullet as the case neck expands then acts as a gas bearing centering the bullet as it is funneled into the rifling. Some precision miniature motors use air as a shaft bearing keeping it centered, cooled and friction free. maybe its like that. Many precision shooters use the bullet slightly jammed into the rifling to center things, but these rifles have concentric chambers axially aligned with the bore, case necks that are sized in matching dies and turned. Jamming the bullet or having it touch the lands raises pressures and can cause the bullet to stick in the rifling. If the bullet sticks, then an attempt to unload the round is made, the case pulls off the bullet, dumps the powder in the action and leaves the barrel obstructed with a bullet. I have had this happen in the field, with no recourse but to hike back and clear the barrel with a cleaning rod. PITA!
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

All you folks jumping to the lands gives me hope. (I jam everything I have at least .010) .221 Fireball, 22BR, 6BR, 6.8 SPC and 6.8 BR Wildcat.
Just got a .204 barrel and stock, 16" straight pipe and rear grip stock, brass and dies. Pistol build. 8) A real looker. 8) Range ready. (if it wasn't such a chore, I'd post pictures :( )
First loads set at book OAL +.005. No idea about chamber length, just loaded them up. Range trip in the AM. Be real interesting to see how accurate it is and what accuracy I get out of it. Seeing hits through the scope would be a BIG plus! Not counting on it but, it could happen?? ;)
milkman

Post by milkman »

I am considering a faster twist rate barrel when I rechamber - currently 1:12, in order to shoot heavier bullets. Has anyone got experience there with say the 50 grain Berger... how does the loss pain velocity affect performance . How do 40 grain bullets do in fast barrels also ?