Factory throat and trim length?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Factory throat and trim length?

Post by inKYfromSD »

I read a recommendation on here that we should be trimming brass as little as possible for rifles with long factory throats. I searched again but couldn't find it. I trim my virgin brass to 1.850 before first firing and then to 1.840 after the first sizing. Is this too short? Is there a benefit to leaving it longer? Is it safe? My TC has a LONG throat, no way I could reach the lands and still keep a bullet safely in the neck.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Factory throat and trim length?

Post by Joe O »

The best way to know, is to use a Sinclair case length gage ($7) for each caliber you have.Most virgin brass is short,Often shorter than published trim to length, in the manualst.Most factory 204r have long throats,however My Ruger #1 has a shorter throat than my other two (TC and Savage),allowing me to reach the lands with all bullets I am likely to shoot.After measuring with the Sinclair gage I trim .010-.015 under that measurement.Less is best.It depends on the cartridge,as to how often you may need to trim.
inKYfromSD

Post by inKYfromSD »

The case gauges are cheap enough but I make one from a fired case. I decap it and neck-size it then cut and "X" slot in the neck using a rotary tool. It holds a bullet just tight enough not to fall out. It's loose enough that the lands push it back into the case without grabbing it.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

inKYfromSD wrote:The case gauges are cheap enough but I make one from a fired case.
KY/SD: That will tell you the distance to the lands, but will tell you nothing whatever in regard to the length of your chamber. Without a chamber gauge, you'll never know.

We're talking the actual chamber length, NOT the distance to the lands. :chin:

If you really want to get a heads-up on this, do not trim your new brass ever (just neck size, chamfer and deburr the neck), wait until it's been fireformed in your chamber, as some cases will actually shrink in lengh, then they'll be much too short and shorter than many others in the batch. It's always best NOT to trim new brass, but fire it first in your chamber, THEN trim once it's been fireformed. But if you don't have a chamber gauge, you won't really know how short/long to trim, other than do the "sheep thing" and trim to book length.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

inKYfromSD

Post by inKYfromSD »

Sheep! I'm from cattle country! :) Rick, as usual, you're absolutely correct. Looks like I need to place another reloading supplies order...

I'll take your advice on the new bags of Win brass. Does that make me one of the "black sheep"? How much under chamber length are you trimming?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

inKYfromSD wrote:Does that make me one of the "black sheep"? How much under chamber length are you trimming?
Heck, last time I checked, most of my friends and myself are probably considered "black sheep"! 'Ain't ever bothered me before either. :lol:

I usually trim .010" under chamber length. Once you measure your chambers, you'll be amazed at how long they are compared to "book trim length" for most brass in the manuals. It really becomes more of an exercise of keeping the cases a consistent length for neck tension consistency, than keeping them from being "too long" and creating the dreaded "pressure crimp" on the bullet just from chambering the round.

If you wait to trim after fireforming, then trim the batch normally, you'll soon see that that batch of cases will stay usually within .002" length of one another for about another three firings prior to really needing trimming again. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

How do you go about checking chamber length?
I've got the hornady tool for checking "to lands" measurements, but that's not with fire formed brass. And, as Rick said, nothing to do with chamber length.
Joe O

Post by Joe O »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:How do you go about checking chamber length?
I've got the hornady tool for checking "to lands" measurements, but that's not with fire formed brass. And, as Rick said, nothing to do with chamber length.

Only two ways.A chamber cast,or this sinple little tool.Size a case,cut off about 1/2 the neck,insert tool/gage into empty case,chamber the dummy round,extract,and measure.Do it a few times for consistancy.Keep records and trim .010 +/- under this measurement.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=0 ... ength_gage
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Cheers Joe.
I'll get onto that
inKYfromSD

Post by inKYfromSD »

I ordered one of the chamber gauges for each of my bolt actions. More little bits to keep track of and play with. :)
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

inKYfromSD wrote:I ordered one of the chamber gauges for each of my bolt actions. More little bits to keep track of and play with. :)
:lol:
I use to think all I needed was a press, dies, and powder thrower. But thanks to this forum my girlfriend now cringes every time a new parcel rocks up with my new toys. I NEED them all of course, to be safe and make sure I don't blow myself up
So many toys, so little room to hide them :D
inKYfromSD

Post by inKYfromSD »

[quote="Sth Oz Dan So many toys, so little room to hide them :D[/quote]

Lockable 4-drawer filing cabinet (no primers or powder)... It's for her own safety. :)
Joe O

Post by Joe O »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
inKYfromSD wrote:I ordered one of the chamber gauges for each of my bolt actions. More little bits to keep track of and play with. :)
:lol:
I use to think all I needed was a press, dies, and powder thrower. But thanks to this forum my girlfriend now cringes every time a new parcel rocks up with my new toys. I NEED them all of course, to be safe and make sure I don't blow myself up
So many toys, so little room to hide them :D
A tip for happines:Get all the gun stuff before you marry her.There will always be more needed,but she'll be partially trained by then.Yeah,Right!!
inKYfromSD

Post by inKYfromSD »

Or get her interested in guns and reloading! Not only won't she mind but you'll have a shooting/hunting partner as well. My wife couldn't care less about shooting but my daughter enjoys it. And she really likes the pink collapsible stock she got for Christmas. :)
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

As far as keeping all the little gadgets in order and out of sight...I've always wanted to pick up a good used Kennedy Machinist's Tool Box. My Plano box with removeable boxes works well but, nice tools deserve something better and the reloading room would be cramped with a full on tool chest. Darned collectors are driving the price up on the old Kennedy's.