Most EXPLOSIVE projectile

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
geoff23
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hb target vt1

Most EXPLOSIVE projectile

Post by geoff23 »

Hi. I know I,m probably opening up a can of worm here, but I would be interested to hear which is the most explosive projectile. A sierra 32 blitz king or the 32 vmax pushed at about 4000 -4200 as both seem to be just about as accurate as each other in my reloads. thanks
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

RE: Most EXPLOSIVE projectile

Post by boomer84 »

26gn Varmint grenades hands down!! But out of the 2 vmax could be slightly ahead

Sent from my LG-C900k using Board Express
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Re: Most EXPLOSIVE projectile

Post by Zeus »

I've tried a lot of different bullets in a lot of different calibers and keep coming back to the V-max for the best terminal performance.
geoff23
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hb target vt1

Post by geoff23 »

Ive tried a handful of varmint grenades, but didn't really give them a fair go as my first 5 reloads with these were about 2 inch groups. also I thought begin only 26 grain , they must lack the punch after say 100m , Any ideas on this? Surely the lack of weight must hinder performance pass 100. also I read some were the blitz kings had a thinner jacket than the vmaxs. But I maybe comes down to projectile shape, tip etc. thanks for any info guys!
oh! can you push a grenade a wee bit fast with a max load due to only being 26grs. If i,m getting 4050 out of a 32vmax and 28grs of benchmark. 28grs of benchmark behind a Gr projectile would have to be steaming along would,t it? anybody clocked a max loaded grenade
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

geoff23 wrote:oh! can you push a grenade a wee bit fast with a max load due to only being 26grs. If i,m getting 4050 out of a 32vmax and 28grs of benchmark. 28grs of benchmark behind a Gr projectile would have to be steaming along would,t it?
That Benchmark load of yours is a bit under max with the 26gr VG, max being 28.7gr @ 4,279 fps (24"). But you can push that bullet from 4,250 - 4,300 fps if you really want to, this according to the 2012 Hodgdon manual. No telling what accuracy might be, and that velocity will shed quickly after the first 100 yards as you mentioned, but this bullet gives about the highest possible safe velocity with the 204R. :shock:

As for explosiveness, do you need more explosiveness than this?:

In the field, we have a hard time telling the difference in "splat factor" from any poly-tipped bullet from another. I've used the VG's too, and on PD's and squirrels, can't tell the difference...they all launch, and usually in many parts. :lol: I love the 30gr 22 cal VG in my 22 K-Hornet at 3,400 fps on squirrels.....what a show from a Hornet. ;)

If I had to vote though, I'd probably give the V-Max the nod, but not by much. The rat above was smacked from 328 yards using one of my 12-twist 204's and a 32gr SBK for the record, but I use them all. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

So how much AA 1680 do you push the 30 VG in hopefully a K hornet Rick? I picked up a pound of 1680 on the way home from the airport Friday after reading one of your posts on the Nosler 45 gn bullet, but would like to also load m K with the VG light bullets for April....I suspect your load is using these soft points? Nosler Solid Base Bullets 22 Hornet (224 Diameter) 45 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box of 100

The only game I have shot with a poly tip is a 17 hmr, so I have no answer for the OP.....sorry

Allen