Anyone modify their magazine to accomodate a longer OAL?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Anyone modify their magazine to accomodate a longer OAL?

Post by tpcollins »

The inside dimension on my Tikka T3 all plastics magazine clip is 2.310" - which limits the OAL length I can use in .204. What determines this length is the "backstop" about 1/3 of the way from the end, that runs the depth of the clip. It looks like the bottom part snaps into the upper part and if it could be taken apart, a good machinist ought to be able to mill/broach .020" or so off this backstop to accomodate a longer OAL. Just wondering if anyone has done this? Thanks.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Anyone modify their magazine to accomodate a longer OAL?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nope, have not. Most of us here shoot our bolt guns single shot (for colony rodents), and have single shot followers either glued in our placed atop the mag follower. This allows seating out to get closer to the lands, but does limit the rifle to SS mode, which is how we shoot varmints from portable field benches....bolt open between shots to allow barrel cooling, loaded round sitting in the single shot tray awaiting it's turn down the barrel.

Don't see why you couldn't remove the mag block from that Tikka or any other mag well such a Remmy to allow seating out farther to escape the silly factory short OAL for the 204. Check out Todd Kindler's Match 204 Ruger print sometime.....the bullet is seated out just like any other "normal" varmint caliber, and is able to touch the lands if wanted. (But won't fit in a factory magazine either)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Re: Anyone modify their magazine to accomodate a longer OAL?

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

That's a good question TP
Haven't tried it, but got me thinking about my next self taught amateur gunsmithing lesson :lol:
My Ruger mag is about the same length, and like you said, has a back stop which doesn't seem to serve any obvious purpose. The Ejector pops in just behind it, but I could definitely adjust the back stop enough to get land touchers in there without interfering with the ejector.
Guess you just have to make sure the rounds won't sit back so far that the bolt can't pick them up