Case trimming lengths ?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Case trimming lengths ?

Post by 247sniper »

Hi guys,

just a quick question fellas,

I have shot all my .204 Ruger brass for its first time now and am going to prep the brass ready to be reloaded now that it is fire firmed.

What lenght should I trim the brass to, I have read on several places that you should trim to 1.840" and I have also read that you should also trim to 1.850" ?

What do you guys trim to. In the real world it probably won't make any difference but would like to go off real life experiences like you knowlagable people's :D

Whats your advise guys, I'm using hornady brass btw chaps

Many thank guys

Steve.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Case trimming lengths ?

Post by Joe O »

I'v found that most chambers are longer than necessary and brass is shorter than necessary.I measure each chamber with the Sinclair gage ($7),and just square up
the case mouths (minimum cut).Cases that are much shorter than the norm, are set aside and used for fouler shots or other measurments.With the sharper shoulders (30-40deg)there is not much, if any, brass stretch.I check from time to time.I like custom chambers with .015 over trim length(most are longer).Using this procedure,I can ignore the "trim to length",as posted in the manuals.Hope this helps
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Cheers thanks Joe ;)

Cheers mate.

Steve.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Steve. I think you will find most chambers on the 204 are pretty standard (Now the throat or freebore is a different story) Max for case length should be 1.850 and they reccommend trimming to 1.840. This works the best for me, I know. And you will get many reloads before you have to trim again, unless you are really pushing the max on loads. Bill K
Joe O

Post by Joe O »

Check out the SAMMI drawings of the case and the chamber,then measure a new piece of brass for OAL.
http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dr ... 0Ruger.pdf
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Joe O wrote:Check out the SAMMI drawings of the case and the chamber,then measure a new piece of brass for OAL.
That is a good idea "Joe O" and if I read it correctly, it does show the case length to be 1.850 . The reload manuals then show to trim to 1.540 prior to reload. Very helpful info. Bill K :) Thanks for shareing.
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Post by Zeus »

If it's not over the max case length of 1.850 there is no need to trim. Case trimming is the one step of reloading that I dread. If they aren't out of spec just leave them be.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Zeus wrote:If it's not over the max case length of 1.850 there is no need to trim. Case trimming is the one step of reloading that I dread. If they aren't out of spec just leave them be.
In most cases I fully agree, Zeus. But I have one rifle that appearantly has a very tight or close to spec chamber. I start getting or showing some signs of pressure unless is trim cases, even new ones, back ever so slightly. So I have just started making it a general practice to trim a slight amount on all of them. For me anyway it just stops problems. Bill K :)
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Bill K wrote:
Zeus wrote:If it's not over the max case length of 1.850 there is no need to trim. Case trimming is the one step of reloading that I dread. If they aren't out of spec just leave them be.
In most cases I fully agree, Zeus. But I have one rifle that appearantly has a very tight or close to spec chamber. I start getting or showing some signs of pressure unless is trim cases, even new ones, back ever so slightly. So I have just started making it a general practice to trim a slight amount on all of them. For me anyway it just stops problems. Bill K :)

Yes like Bill has said, I make it part if my reloading process to trim every time. Sometimes only a slither only Comes off and sometimes nothing at all.

It may take a bit longer and in the real world may not be nessecery But I feel happier knowing that they are all consistent and all the same.

Steve.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Bill K wrote:

Yes like Bill has said, I make it part if my reloading process to trim every time. Sometimes only a slither only Comes off and sometimes nothing at all.

It may take a bit longer and in the real world may not be nessecery But I feel happier knowing that they are all consistent and all the same.

Steve.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »

Bill K wrote:

Steve.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

Joe O wrote:Check out the SAMMI drawings of the case and the chamber,then measure a new piece of brass for OAL.

This spec says the cartridge length is 1.850" - .020. I know that 1.850" is the maximum so this would suggest 1.830" is the minimum. But I had been under the impression that a -.010" was the tolerance if not indicated - I learn something new every day . . .
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

I trim after every firing to square case mouths and make sure they are all the same. I use a Wilson trimmer and just set it to minimum - 1.830. I don't think the .204 has enough recoil to set back a bullet in a case that has been properly sized.
Joe O

Post by Joe O »

tpcollins wrote:

This spec says the cartridge length is 1.850" - .020. I know that 1.850" is the maximum so this would suggest 1.830" is the minimum. But I had been under the impression that a -.010" was the tolerance if not indicated - I learn something new every day . . .
That 1.850 is Max case length.Scroll down.....The minimum Sammi Chamber length is 1.8626.Your chamber may be longer,and I haven't found any brass (204r) that is as long as 1.850.That's why I don't trim,untill I know the chamber length,and usually only need to square the mouth,after the first fireing.
247sniper

Post by 247sniper »