Powder funnel problem FIXED!

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
roooster_11
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 .204

Powder funnel problem FIXED!

Post by roooster_11 »

I read a post some time back about a powder funnel problem when loading .204 since most funnels are .22-.45. Well I just received my reloading supplies for my .204 Friday and I was having the same problems. I was spilling powder everywhere. Well here is my fix. I took a .223 brass and cut it in half. I cleaned up the cut really good. I chamfered the neck a bit and the .223 neck fits perfectly over the .204 case mouth. Now I just put the powder funnel over the cut end of the .223 and problem solved. It does take a little longer to load because you have to move the .223 case, but no more spilled powder. I forgot to take pictures of it. I'll try to remember to take some and upload them tomorrow.
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Powder funnel problem FIXED!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Or.......... you could just purchase the neat, nifty little caliber-specific powder funnel from CRT and not only have a very trick and functional funnel for all your calibers, but one that looks like it actually belongs on a handloading bench. But no one will fault you for lack of invention. ;)

Just something to consider...... :chin:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

roooster_11
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 .204

Post by roooster_11 »

I definitley will do that, I just needed to get some loads worked up so I could go to the range. I was itching to shoot the gun. That was just a quick fix for the time being.
"If courage is a word that knows not fear, then I have never met a couragous man; a brave man is one that puts his fears aside, and does his job" Unknown
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

I used to use a small section of a cut-off graphite arrow shaft, then I bought the RCBS .17cal funnel - duh.
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

I like that idea myself. I have three or four funnels on my bench and was using a Lyman which worked the best but I had to tap the sides to get the last few granules in. I just cut off a 223 and used a tapered drift punch to flare the neck a little and works like charm with any of my other funnels now. No more tapping and I did not have to buy another funnel :D
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Originally, I bought an RCBS 20 cal funnel for my 204. JMHO, it is a real POS and a pain in a$$. To make it easier to use, I took a 17HMR case, cut the end off and forced the modified case into the funnel. This fixed all of the problems with the funnel, and I did get a few reloads done with the mods I made to the funnel. But, I did purchase a caliber specific funnel made by Saturn. And I then purchase a funnel from CRT, and adapters for the 204 and my 223. For me, this is the best funnel on the market! Period! :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
mvpal
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Encore

Post by mvpal »

I did exactly the same thing as futuretrades. What I like the most about using a 17 HMR case is that it fits right in the neck of the .204 case and if you accidentally bump the funnel, it will not knock over if you have a loading block with moderately high walls. I used the funnel from my flask and the 17 HMR case secured right to it. I wouldn't waste my money on anything retail. Just my opinion.
Thomson Encore .204
"Do you know anyone with old rusted out military vehicles laying around going to scrap?"