Neck shape

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Neck shape

Post by 247sniper »

Hi guys,

I have reloaded my new .204, all cases have been fired once. But i don't understand that some cases, when looking into it down the neck the neck isn't circular, it looks as if the neck is deforming slightky once fired ? Why would this happen chaps, have any of you guys come across this before?

Many thanks guys

Steve.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Re: Neck shape

Post by sakofan »

Hi Steve
I have also noticed this on my factory remington 204.
My cases look like the neck is slightly dented on one spot.
Im thinking its getting damaged in the rifle when being ejected.
Hopefully some of the guys on here will know the cause of this.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Could be a strong spring in the ejector may be depressing the case.Make sure the chamber is clear of all carbon in the neck area.If it's only a few cases,measure to find out if the thickness is uniform.What brass,gun?If you find them thick on one side,set them aside for practice cases if ,down the line,you intend to turn necks.All shooters should do it once,to find out what a PITA it is,untill the smile comes in with the results on target.Maybe not.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

It's a Remmys 700 action. It's fired approx 200 round, and I have give it 2/3 rel good cleans. The only other thing that's hapening is when you camber a round and close the bolt, the bolt sheers a slight bit of the brass around the ejector lug part , could that also be related, what's that?

I'm using hornady brass? What are hornady like for brass?

Thanks guys

Steve.
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

You might have a burr or sharp edge on the extractor shaving a bit of brass. I have a couple of Remingtons that do this and I just ignore it, but I do make sure I get the shavings out of the bolt face when I clean.

The dents if I understand you are present after firing a round and extracting it? If so the thin neck wall is being smacked against the side of the chamber by the ejector spring and short of removing or lightening the spring there is little you can do. A run through your sizer should round them back out like new. A lot of rifles dent case mouths, it is very common especially in semi-autos
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

It's very common with the accuracy crowd to remove the ejector spring from a M700 entirely, or just cut a few coils off it and reinstall to lessen the effect of too strong a spring forcing the case neck strongly against the side of the chamber upon ejecting.

Most of the bench crowd who still shoot M700's, just remove this spring entirely. All my M700 varmint rifles have this spring cut almost in half to lessen this effect you're describing. Once a few coils are removed, you'll not see any more dented or out-of-round case necks. Just use the proper sized punch to remove the roll pin from the bolt, but watch out, it can fly across the room into a hidey-hide in short order. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

Rick in Oregon wrote:It's very common with the accuracy crowd to remove the ejector spring from a M700 entirely, or just cut a few coils off it and reinstall to lessen the effect of too strong a spring forcing the case neck strongly against the side of the chamber upon ejecting.

Most of the bench crowd who still shoot M700's, just remove this spring entirely. All my M700 varmint rifles have this spring cut almost in half to lessen this effect you're describing. Once a few coils are removed, you'll not see any more dented or out-of-round case necks. Just use the proper sized punch to remove the roll pin from the bolt, but watch out, it can fly across the room into a hidey-hide in short order. ;)
Well I took out the ejector spring last night and ended up removing 5 coils in total.
The rifle is now ejecting cases perfectly and not firing them across the room like before.
Case necks are fine and no sign of any dents.
Thanks for the help.