Do Noslers take a back seat to ??

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Do Noslers take a back seat to ??

Post by Predator1 »

I have only been a member for a short time and have done alot of searching and reading. I have noticed that Sierras seem to be the bullet that sticks out when you read alot of the post. And it seems that the Hornady 40 is a bullet that alot of guns won't shoot. I purposely steered away from these two bullets when I bought my first 204 components based on the reading I have done on here. I have started out with 40gr Bergers and 39gr Sierras and so far have had good results. IN fact, I can just swap bullets out and use the same powder charge and they print very good groups. Didn't know if I am missing something not trying the Noslers.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Do Noslers take a back seat to ??

Post by ryutzy »

If it aint broke dont fix it. LOL Both bullet that you have mentioned are great. If they work well you wont find drastic changes in actual performance with any other bullet. Only reason to change would be for hunting a different or specific type of animal.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

I never tried noslers. Started w/ VMax 32s and 40s because they seemed to be in Ruger's original recepie when the round was developed... I'm not sure how the heck I got that in my head..

Then I went to Sierra Blitzkings because there seemed to be an aura of success around them. Then I tried Bergers... just because, LOL!

FYI, every bullet I tried did fine, out for factoy barrels. 'Usually grouping under 0.5" w/5x groups @ 100y. I usually could get 0.3' (5x) when I was shooting well.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I shoot Nosler, Hornaday and Sierra in both 204 and 224 cal. in 204 Rugers, 223 Rem(700) and a Howa 22-250. With the right load in any of them I can place the various weight bullets consistantly in a inch or less. I seem to prefer the 32 grainers in the 20 & 223 and the 55 Grain in the 22-250. But what ever works for you and does what you want, then stick and go with it. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Back seat? Dunno, but most of my varmint rifles as well as hunting rifles all shoot Noslers very well. Some of my 204's slightly prefer the Sierra BK's, but only by a very small margin.

Here's a couple of random targets shot during load development with my Cooper M21 VR in 223 Rem using the Nosler 40gr BT....plenty accurate enough for ground squirrels, PD's and the like all the way to 500+ yards: (those dang 5th shot flyers!)

Not BR accuracy by any means, but demonstrates typical Nosler BT accuracy out of all my varmint rifles. Not sure if that's back seat, but they sure shoot for me. The new Varmageddon bullets shoot very well so far, and the price point is far below the Sierra BK's now. Sure something to consider. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I've never tried Noslers. I've had very good luck with 40 gr Vmaxs and 39 gr BKs, and disappointing results with Berger 40 gr BTHPs.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Predator1 »

Thanks so far guys. Kinda what I was thinking bu as one poster said, there seemed to be an aura around the 39gr Blitzkings which is why I tried them. After reading alot of the post on here I just wasn't "Feeling" the Noslers so I didn't try em. I wasn't meaning that nosler makes 2nd rate bullets, cuz I use em in a couple of my 22 centerfires and they are very accurate but in the 204 I was just seeing more good from other bullets.

BTW Rick, nice shooting with the Cooper! And man, the Velocity! Nice!!! Have you tried playing with the seating depth to get rid of that "5th Flyer"?
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

My Savage 12 likes 32gr BKs and 40gr Noslers if that makes sense.

Doesn't like any of the Hornady bullets. :wall:
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Noslers are as good or better in the accuracy dept. as anybodys bullets period.

Heads up guys, Graf and sons now has the NSL 20 (.204) 32gr FBHP VARMAGEDDON 100/BOX for 13.99$ in stock.with 5.00$ shipping regardless of the weight of the order.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/23532

Retired Timber faller
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Think maybe it isn't all the bullets....? Many know that slow twist barrels have difficulties stabilizing a heavier bullet....Many guns have a 1:12" twist....a better twist for a 40 gr pill would be 1:9" or even 1:10" Just something to consider....
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Predator1-- I think maybe the reason you weren't feeling the love from the Noslers here is because they waited too long to jump onboard with their 204 offerings. They are an excellent bullet but there's just not much written about them since they are mucher "newer" if you will & most everybody were happy with their loads by then. Just a guess on my part.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen