Where to start with my reloads

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Where to start with my reloads

Post by Ol` Joe »

Hello, I`m new to the 204 although I`ve been reloading for most of my life. I just picked up a new Remington XR-100 in this chambering, and though haven`t loaded a round for it yet I have a couple questions.

How sensitive to bullet geometry does cartridge seem to be? I have shot three different bullet wts in factory ammo, 34gr Win PP, 39gr Sierra Blitz King in Federal, and 40gr Hornady brand V-max to get an idea of where I want to start in bullet wt with this rifle.. The 39gr showed excellent accuracy for four, 5 shot groups with a "best" of .29" and largest of .61", the 34gr went in ~ .7" avg, but the 40gr V-max would not do better then 1.3". All were 5rd groups at 100yds in low wind conditions and from a clean barrel to start with for each bullet wt. Is the 39gr-40gr wt range getting too close to the malengthht for the twist of this rifle? I believe I have a 1/12" twist and will avoid the 45/50gr offerings as they seem to be a bit too much for sure. I understand bullet jump/seating depth, and barrel harmonics with different bullets, but this much accuracy difference with two similar weight bullets makes me think maybe there is more then just "jump" at work.

Is there a wt range that seems to give the best accuracy in this cartridge? It seems in most cartridges there is a certain bullet weight or style that seems to do "well" in most guns. The 165/168gr .30 cal as example or 52gr in the .224. If a 308 or 223 doesn`t shoot one of these bullets well they likely won`t do well with any in my experience without some very serious work. If there is a bullet that seems to shoot in most 204s I`d like to start there and see if it offers what I need instead of trying a 1/2 dozen different bullets hunting for it.

I`ve lurked here for a short while and it seems 4895 and Benchmark are popular powders for the 204. I have both on my shelve and will probably start with them in that order. The 39gr Sierra looks like a good start but I`m still open to other bullets if there is consensus on another being as good or a better choice, especially if my twist is getting iffy with this bullet. The 35gr Berger is another I`m thinking of trying to start with.

How about the real light wts?
I guess it all comes down to what do those of you who load for this round seem to find to best bullet in the most rifles and where do you suggest i start with my hunt for a accurate load. Any tips, ideas or thoughts on where I should begin are appreciated. Accuracy is my 1st worry. The cartridge is fast enough I`m not worried about top velocities :)
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: Where to start with my reloads

Post by Hedge »

Sounds like you have a handle on what you need to do. All rifles have their "preferences".

Lots of guys shoot the 39gr SBKs with great accuracy. Can't do it in mine. It seems to prefer 40 gr Vmax and Noslers for the heavies. Does superbly with 26gr Barnes Varmint Grenades.

You mentioned you're having problems with the Vmax bullets. One of the things about them is their profile. They have a secant ogive and are more sensitive to seating depth than the tangent profile of Sierra and Nosler.

Powder choice is whatever works. Benchmark doesn't do well for me but H4895 and 8208XBR do. 8208 will push faster and have higher pressures for the same weight of H4895.

For accuracy, my experience has been that the low end of the load tables has produced the best accuracy independent of bullet.

I'd recommend running a few OCW tests with the different bullet weights and see what works best for your system.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
btlbrn

Post by btlbrn »

Ol` Joe wrote:Hello, I`m new to the 204 although I`ve been reloading for most of my life. I just picked up a new Remington XR-100 in this chambering, and though haven`t loaded a round for it yet I have a couple questions.

How sensitive to bullet geometry does cartridge seem to be? I have shot three different bullet wts in factory ammo, 34gr Win PP, 39gr Sierra Blitz King in Federal, and 40gr Hornady brand V-max to get an idea of where I want to start in bullet wt with this rifle.. The 39gr showed excellent accuracy for four, 5 shot groups with a "best" of .29" and largest of .61", the 34gr went in ~ .7" avg, but the 40gr V-max would not do better then 1.3". All were 5rd groups at 100yds in low wind conditions and from a clean barrel to start with for each bullet wt. Is the 39gr-40gr wt range getting too close to the malengthht for the twist of this rifle? I believe I have a 1/12" twist and will avoid the 45/50gr offerings as they seem to be a bit too much for sure. I understand bullet jump/seating depth, and barrel harmonics with different bullets, but this much accuracy difference with two similar weight bullets makes me think maybe there is more then just "jump" at work.

Is there a wt range that seems to give the best accuracy in this cartridge? It seems in most cartridges there is a certain bullet weight or style that seems to do "well" in most guns. The 165/168gr .30 cal as example or 52gr in the .224. If a 308 or 223 doesn`t shoot one of these bullets well they likely won`t do well with any in my experience without some very serious work. If there is a bullet that seems to shoot in most 204s I`d like to start there and see if it offers what I need instead of trying a 1/2 dozen different bullets hunting for it.

I`ve lurked here for a short while and it seems 4895 and Benchmark are popular powders for the 204. I have both on my shelve and will probably start with them in that order. The 39gr Sierra looks like a good start but I`m still open to other bullets if there is consensus on another being as good or a better choice, especially if my twist is getting iffy with this bullet. The 35gr Berger is another I`m thinking of trying to start with.

How about the real light wts?
I guess it all comes down to what do those of you who load for this round seem to find to best bullet in the most rifles and where do you suggest i start with my hunt for a accurate load. Any tips, ideas or thoughts on where I should begin are appreciated. Accuracy is my 1st worry. The cartridge is fast enough I`m not worried about top velocities :)
O.J.
Welcome sir to a great forum,
I too shoot Rem. xr 100 and think it is a great rifle." Favorite loads" on this forum is a great place to start. Check out lots of years of experience reloading here, and favorite loads of very knowledgeable shooters. My most accurate load so far is 32 gr Sierra blitzking with Benchmark and Rem 7/12 primers with WW brass (properly prepped of course) according to Sierra manual,27.3 grains at 2.250" coal... Remember, we like pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Ol Joe. You are very correct in your assessment of your situation. Many 1:12 twists don't do so well with the 40 grain vmax and heavier bullets, but will often shoot the 39 sbk because of the makeup of it's profile. You should have good luck with the 35 grain Berger as well.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Ol` Joe

Post by Ol` Joe »

Thanks for the replys guys. :D
OJ how does your xr-100 shoot?
I stumbled on this rifle in the used gun rack but it is new in the box, or appears to be. The plugs are still in the receiver scope holes and a smith claimed the gun appeared unfired to him. I put a Nikon 6x18 Buckmaster on it (The pension has to pay for the wifes food as well as my toys :twisted: ) and am thinking about doing something with the trigger. This one feels like they assembled it in a sand box. I`ll post a couple pictures when I get going. Dies and bullets are getting ordered this weekend.

ryutzy
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the 40gr Hornady, I will focus on the lighter bullets. Do most prefer BT or FL base bullets? I`ve read the lead is too long in these rifles to get anywhere near them so short seating where a FB would kep more shank in the neck is probably not going to be fruitful?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

It sounds like you have a good handle on how to get your 204 loads to perform. If you decide you would like to try some custom 20 caliber bullets we offer them in 34, 37, and 40 grain versions. All our bullets are flat base and utilize a very small hollowpoint to aide in Ballistic Coefficient. We also have numerous specialty tools for reloading 20 calibers, check out our site: www.customreloadingtools.com

thanks,
Brad
Ol` Joe

Post by Ol` Joe »

Brad thanks.
Those bullets look great I might be ordering a few in the near future.
btlbrn

Post by btlbrn »

Ol` Joe wrote:Thanks for the replys guys. :D
OJ how does your xr-100 shoot?
I stumbled on this rifle in the used gun rack but it is new in the box, or appears to be. The plugs are still in the receiver scope holes and a smith claimed the gun appeared unfired to him. I put a Nikon 6x18 Buckmaster on it (The pension has to pay for the wifes food as well as my toys :twisted: ) and am thinking about doing something with the trigger. This one feels like they assembled it in a sand box. I`ll post a couple pictures when I get going. Dies and bullets are getting ordered this weekend.

ryutzy
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the 40gr Hornady, I will focus on the lighter bullets. Do most prefer BT or FL base bullets? I`ve read the lead is too long in these rifles to get anywhere near them so short seating where a FB would kep more shank in the neck is probably not going to be fruitful?
OJ
This is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. Funny but I have the exact same scope on mine. You should double check that trigger. Remington sold this model with a 40-xb trigger adjustable from 1.5-3.5# from 2005-2007. You can still find it on the Remington site. :eek:
P.S. ignore warning on barrel :D
Last edited by btlbrn on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Ol` Joe

Post by Ol` Joe »

btlbrn the trigger pull isn`t too heavy it is very grittty feeling, and jerky. Sand in the works is the only way I can describe it. it isn`t a problem really just not at all what I expected from a supposed target style trigger.
Dr Pepper
.204 Ruger Guns: HS Precision, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Dr Pepper »

I have 2 204 Ruger chambered rifles, 1 in a CZ varmint and the other is a HS Precision. Plus I have shot and loaded for a few remingtons as well. In my CZ with the 39gr Blitzking and 28gr of Varget is magic and with the 40 Nosler and 27gr of Varget works great in the HS rifle.
Varget may work well for you. DR