OOOps

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Re: OOOps

Post by boomer84 »

Decap as normal. Just do it slow, REAL SLOW!!!! Safety glasses and ear plugs just in case. But it should be fine

Ol'Joe : I like the towel idea
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I found that case today, hidden away in a drawer. After going on holiday I'd forgotten about it.
I put on safety glasses, earmuffs, and draped a towel over the press. No lube/spray. Just did the usual procedure very slowly.
No bang, no injuries.
Thanks for the advice fellas
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I made another booboo and thought it best to admit it, and hope that others can learn from it.

I was testing some loads yesterday. I had a couple of foulers to get the session started. 1st one was pretty much where I expected it would go. 2nd one didn't make a noise - just a click, no recoil, and a bad feeling that something was obviously wrong.
I waited a few seconds with the barrel still on target before ejecting the round. Primer was pierced and projectile was still seated. On closer inspection, the bullet was sitting further out than it should have been.

ImageImage

I'm sure the answer is obvious now - Pulled the bullet - No Powder :wall: - Idiot
I guess I'm lucky the primer didn't have enough oomph to jam the bullet.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by magnum »

YES I,V DONE IT AND I,V ALL SO LOADED 2 CASE,S WITH POWDER AND NOT PUT PRIMMER IN oops ONLY WHEN SEEN BITT,S OF POWDER ON THE BENCH THAT MAID ME LOOK AGAIN
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Removed inverted primers dozens of times for reuse.Last month I inadvertedly fired a round with a inverted primer and "CLICK".My surprise when it didn't ignite with the firing pin strike.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

I negligently loaded a squib .45 ACP round. My father fired it and the bullet jammed in the barrel just far enough that the next round wouldn't chamber. Not sure what would have happened if it had travelled another 1/2" down the barrel but it probably wouldn't have been too good. I installed a bright LED light above the bench and now check every round, pistol and rifle, before seating a bullet. Now if I could just find safety glasses that doubled as reading glasses....
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I'm glad I'm not using an AR. At the bench it would be easy to stop and think about what happens next. But in the heat of a hunt?
One bullet part way down the tube, another in the chamber ready to go, and a critter in your crosshairs :eek:
Someone's gonna get hurt, and it's not the critter.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

When ever I've loaded primers backwards I put the case is a glass of water for an hour or so the deprime it verrrrry slowly. Sometimes they go bang, sometimes not. Kind of exciting actually.
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

I did it once with a Dillon - put a whole stick in backwards, but fortunately caught it before I fully loaded any rounds. That was a real joy, getting all those primers out of a progressive press. :mad:

Oil kills primers. Put a drop of CLP/oil on the primer and let it sit for a few days if you want to be as safe as possible.