What would happen, just wondering?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

What would happen, just wondering?

Post by jrwoitalla »

What would happen if you ground up your powder into a fine dust? I'm not going to do it, I know it could be a major disaster. But would it make it shoot faster, slower? Has it been tried?
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: What would happen, just wondering?

Post by Bill K »

I do not know,for sure,but I would think you would cause it to ignite and burn so much faster and hotter, that it would become very unsafe. Something I woudl surely not do. The companies put much time, money and effort into their product, so we can be safe following thier reccomendations. I know you are just speculating and as you said "you would never actually do it". Very safe and sane idea. BIll K :eek:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill is spot-on. The actual shape/size of every powder is instrumental to its buring rate. If ground into a dust, it becomes completely alien from it's original form, and would indeed be "much" faster than intended.

There was a warning some years ago to guys who kept a box of shells in the truck, be it glove compartment or whatever. What happens over time bumping and jostling down dirt roads, washboard, ruts and bumps, is the powder gets shaken enough to break down the gralules into smaller pieces and dust, thereby changing the burning rate enough to give the impression of "proof loads" when fired. I remember one guy years ago not being too happy when the rifle detonated from rounds that had been in his truck a couple of years, later assumed to be this exact anomoly.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

What is a "Proof Load?"
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

In a nut shell, it is a over max load that rifle and powder companies use to test their firearms, be it rifle/shotgun/pistol/revolver with. Pick up a good firearms book/manual and read up on such. Bill K