Loading the 204?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Loading the 204?

Post by Predator1 »

Hi all! I just joined and introduced myself in the main forum.

I want to get going on loading for my CZ 527. I have been doing alot reading on here and see that H4895 and Benchmark are a couple of good suitable powders for the 204. I have these two powders readily at hand as I use them in my other rifles. I am not sure what bullet I want to go with yet as this will mainly be a calling gun. Just looking for a good bullet that will anchor yotes quickly. I have seen where the 35gr Berger has come up in alot in post but I see the BC is pretty low. I hunt in quite abit of wind and may need to pull off some longer shots of 200-300yds. Can you guys enlighten me as to some good choices? I have seen where some guns have been picky about the 40 grainers but didn't know if the CZ 527 has "Typically" been a rifle that did well with 40's. Thanks
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Loading the 204?

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

You will get many different answers on bullet recommendations, so i will go ahead and offer mine. I personally own a few CZ 204's and have had good luck in shooting the 40 grain non ballistic tip bullets. Basically if you want to use a heavier bullet such as a 40 grain you will need to stick with a hollowpoint bullet instead of a ballistic tipped bullet. The hollowpoint bullets are slightly shorter than the ballistic tipped version and therefore they will stabilize in a factory 12 twist barrel. Many guys use the 35 grain Berger bullet, however as you noted the BC is very low. My company offers a line of custom 20 caliber bullets with a much higher BC than the berger. A few of the other members on this site use them for coyote and have had good results.