Nosler .204 Brass IDENTICAL to Norma .204 Brass?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Lyn

Re: Nosler .204 Brass IDENTICAL to Norma .204 Brass?

Post by Lyn »

Its a little off topic but I shoot a cz 527 and I disagree that brass doesn't make that much difference in a factory rifle. I have loaded the same round in 3 different brass manufacturer's (nosler competition, Ruger, and winchester). The nosler brass preformed much better than the others. The little things make all the difference. A custom rifle is no differnt when it comes to brass quality or anything else for that matter. Get rid of all the variables and you will have success. Just my 2 cents.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ClaimJumper wrote:I hope you are right Rick.
I just talked with Kevin in the Nosler Shooters Pro Shop....it was indeed a typo. WW 204 Ruger bulk brass sells for $26/100pcs., but is out of stock at this particular moment.
Lyn wrote:A custom rifle is no differnt when it comes to brass quality or anything else for that matter. Get rid of all the variables and you will have success.
Lyn: True, perhaps I should have specified that "custom rifle with custom chamber", as most of my custom barrels also were chambered with custom ground reamers that helps good brass make a difference. My point was that if you completely detail domestic brass such as WW (which I use alot), it is almost as good as Lapua or Norma et al, but with unprepped brass in a factory chamber, you'll seldom notice any difference. Make sense? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Hey thanks Rick, I just ordered 300 WW cases in 204 at Nolser's SPS. I have factory chambers and like how it's very consistent and easy to load flat based bullets( Varmint extreme from Nosler) via Midsouth. It seems like Hornady crushes or tears the case mouth in 1 out of 30 even with an inside VLD deburr tool. I do like Nosler 204 brass the best but save it for BS sessions @ the range to impress friends.
In my .223's, the Nosler brass outshoots the Lapua brass. It's just more consistent and needs -0- prep work.

Oh, and they already fixed their website to reflect the price.

Retired Timber faller
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

+ One on the zero prep work for Nosler and Lapua. Honestly though, in my Cooper M21 VR chambered in 223, it's the only one of my 223's that either Lapua or Norma/Nosler shows a difference in accuracy over domestic brass. All my others (Rem, Ruger, Sako) can't tell the difference unless it's an aftermarket SS barrel with a properly cut chamber, then I see a bit better accuracy. I just don't see any difference at the target with a factory barrel using premium brass over domestic, at least in any of my rifles.

Besides zero prep work though, is that Lapua and Norma brass has much better case wall and therefore neck thickness consistency than our domestic brass, and that feature alone is worth the price of admission IMHO.

"Yes Loretta, premium brass IS worth it!" :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

What I find that makes the Nosler brass better in factory chambers is the internal volume is more consistent, stick or ball burns the same. Cheap brass has internal volume differences that changes the pressure , either higher (thicker) or lower (thinner) affecting the actual flight of the bullet, eg. higher or lower at 200 yards or farther. That's where good brass shines to me. More consistent factory necks also aids in this. I would perfer to shoot $Nosler$ brass in everything but for rat work, but I just load Lake City for the 223 and Winchester for the 204. Most of my shots are 200 yards or less here in rat country.

We are only talking 1/8" to 3/16" @ 100 or 1/4" @ 200 yards better. That's without neck turning which I think is a waste of time and case life for factory chambers.

Retired Timber faller