Nosler .204 Brass IDENTICAL to Norma .204 Brass?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
gjantzer
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Nosler .204 Brass IDENTICAL to Norma .204 Brass?

Post by gjantzer »

I understand that Nosler brass is made by Norma. I was just wondering if these two brasses are identical with the exception of the company stamp on the brass.

Nosler Brass
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/843420 ... -box-of-50
-weight sorted
-chamfered and deburred mouth
-deburred flash hole
-pre trimmed neck length and wall thickness

Norma Brass
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/131119 ... -204-ruger
-chamfered and deburred mouth
-punched flash hole

Is Nosler buying brass from Norma and weight sorting them, deburring the flash hole and trimming the neck to a consistent length? Is that the only difference or is there something more to it? I'm reloading for a CZ 527 Varmint in .204. First reloading project and I want to make sure I get off on the right foot.

Thanks all. First post, but been reading your stuff for a few days straight! Great site. All help is appreciated.
Last edited by gjantzer on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlc204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12 vlp single shot 204

Re: Nosler .204 Brass IDENTICAL to Norma .204 Brass?

Post by jlc204 »

You wouldn't save money, Norma brass is more expensive than Nosler.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I believe that Norma makes the 204 Ruger Brass for Nosler. I have some and its good brass, however if you are on a budget I would consider the Winchester 204 Brass. For the money Winchester is good brass and only needs a few prep steps and its ready to go. The average person using a factory chambered rifle will never be able to notice an accuracy difference between the brass.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Notice you mentioned punched flash hole on Norma. I was of the understanding that Norma drilled the flashhole on their brass, which is sold to Nosler and others.. May be wrong, but that is what I have read. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I thought we were done with this, but we'll set the record straight: First of all, almost all Nosler brass is produced by Norma....almost. Federal does make some cases for them also.

Here's living proof that Nosler brass comes from Sweden from Norma. This is the label from one of the brass import drums the factory gives away (I was up there yesterday and snagged a bunch for my rat shooting crew):

I will add that this brass is detailed here in Oregon at the Nosler plant; but both Lapua and Norma brass has drilled vs. punched flash holes. The Nosler brass is hand sorted, weight sorted, chamfered, trimmed, and the flash holes are deburred (not necessary, but they do it anyway, even though they're drilled).

Brad/wirelessguy is correct too, in that in a factory chamber you'll never really notice the use of premium brass in the rifle. WW brass is decent IF you take the time to do the proper prep work prior to loading. Most of my high-volume rat rifles use WW brass, and each one usually has a small stash of either Lapua, Norma or Nosler brass for the really precise work, but most of these rifles wear custom stainless match barrels too, some with reamers I've designed and had ground myself. In those guns, the use of premium brass shows up on the target. Any of my rifles with factory barrels get WW brass, and they do just fine with it.

So in the end, use premium brass in a factory gun if it makes you feel good....nuthin' wrong with that, but you can spend less and get by just as well using domestic brass such as WW or R-P. I'm not even going to address Hornady 204R brass....been there. JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

wirelessguy2005 wrote:I believe that Norma makes the 204 Ruger Brass for Nosler. I have some and its good brass, however if you are on a budget I would consider the Winchester 204 Brass. For the money Winchester is good brass and only needs a few prep steps and its ready to go. The average person using a factory chambered rifle will never be able to notice an accuracy difference between the brass.
+1 for Win brass!
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

++1 for WW :yeah:
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

is there a performance difference in drilled flash holes vs punched flash holes ?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

no performance difference to speak of, having a drilled flash hole just saves you the step of deburring the flash hole (something you would need to do on brass with a punched flash hole)
204cat wrote:is there a performance difference in drilled flash holes vs punched flash holes ?
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Punched, drilled, not really, they could be drilled out double the diameter and nobody would notice any difference. My practice is to purchase Winchester brass, then have a deburring and uniforming party. That's where I sit at the table watching old movies on the flat-screen (tube) while I deburr the flash holes and uniform pocket depth, followed by inside and outside mouth chamfering. I'm not so sure that deburring the flash hole is necessary or an improvement. Who knows, maybe a turbulent flame ignites the charge more aggressively? Maybe the difference can't be measured. It's just a habit, a sort of alchemical ritual that I faithfully follow hoping to create a dab of gold. Yes I even deburr Lapua brass, sort of compulsive that way.

Those of you who shoot the .223 Remington should also look at Privi Partizan brass, its as good as Winchester and Graf & Sons has it on sale just now for $15.99 per 100. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/12628

I don't want to discourage sales of Nosler products, but cheaper brass is to be had with no disadvantage. Love their 40 grain BT Lead Free .224 bullets - with a mild load of Rl-10x they shoot in the low .2"s.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

saw flash holes widened or enlarged on subsonic cases in an article on subsonic on 6mmbr. not sure if they were drilled or swaged. the cases were marked so they would not be confused with other brass.

well now i know.... thank you
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

204cat wrote:saw flash holes widened or enlarged on subsonic cases in an article on subsonic on 6mmbr. not sure if they were drilled or swaged. the cases were marked so they would not be confused with other brass.

well now i know.... thank you
Them of us that shoot the 6 PPC also sometimes ream the flash holes a little larger to reduce the chances of sticking a depriming pin and making everything uniform. I use a straight flute .0625" reamer in a pin vice. Maybe I should have taken up golf.
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Just a "Heads up" for everyone, The Nosler website has 50, Winchester 204 ruger cases for 26.00+$ Months ago these Win cases were 26.00 per 100.
Powder valley still has these same Win cases for 26 per 100. as does Cabellas. It's an election year coming up. That usually means shortages.

Retired Timber faller
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

That price at the Nosler Pro Shop is incorrect.....they always sell WW 204 brass for $26/100 pcs, same as all the other shops in this area.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Retired Timber faller