Neck Lube

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Neck Lube

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I neck size with a Lee die so I understand I don't need lube for this. But after decapping and sizing, I intend running my cases through an ultrasonic cleaner. Since this removes carbon from inside the case neck, will I need to lube before seating bullets?
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Neck Lube

Post by RAMOS »

I believe Lee says no. If you want to use something, I would suggest Imperial dry graphite neck lube.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Cheers for the quick reply RAMOS.
Nah, I don't WANT to use lube, just wondering if it was needed in the absence of carbon in a shiny clean case.
Might have a browse over Lee's website and see if that brings up anything specific
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I had some problems crushing the brass for my 204, when seating bullets, before I started using Imperial graphite lube in the necks. Just my experience. Was using WW brass at the time. Now the only brass I reload my 204 with is R-P brass. Never looked back since and no more problems!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Sent an email to Lee. They say no, there's no need for lube. I guess I'll run a few through when I get a chance and see what happens
Mega
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint , Sako 85 Varmint

Post by Mega »

If you are using Lee Neck Collet Dies then I agree you don't need lube to size the neck. However if you are using any type of Die with an Expander Ball I would most certainly lube the neck inside at a minimum and of course if you are doing Full Length Sizing Lube is a must.

In my view if you have developed a specific load already and then have removed the natural lube (carbon) from inside the neck then you may find a change in accuracy. You may also find that bullet seating is more difficult (more neck tension) and perhaps the risk of shaving slightly the outside of the bullet when seating.

I Ultrasonic Clean all my cases but I do replace the natural lube (carbon) with either Imperial Dry Lube or Graphite before seating bullets. I find running a nylon neck brush dipped in a bottle of graphite the least messy as it doesn't leave any on the outside of the case.

For .22 Hornet I use a Lee Collet Neck Die but for the rest of my reloading calibres I use Wilson Inline Dies and an Arbor Press.
Sako 85 .204 Ruger Varmint, CZ 527 .204 Ruger Varmint, Sako S491 22/6mmBR, Tikka T3 Custom 6.5x47 Lapua
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Mega
Good thinking re neck tension. This is kinda what I was wondering about. I'm sure taking material off the jacket will affect accuracy, but as I'm fairly new to it all, wasn't sure how the lack of lube will affect the release of the projectile.
Perhaps I could test a few shiny, no lube cases against some of the very few reload results I have so far and see if there is any variation in consistency.

Bugger me - when I bought my basic press and dies, I thought that was all there was to it. But there are so many variables to test, I can see it might be a never ending pursuit for accuracy (or more to the point - consistency) - but that means I get to do more shooting :D
Having a ball going over the data and deciding where to go next.
Having a hard time explaining all the new toys to the better half though :lol: I'm sure I'll be forgiven one day