Grooves in Brass

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Grooves in Brass

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Just picked up some factory Federal ammo and did a few spotlight runs recently. Didn't inspect any rounds before firing, just pushed them through by feel in the dark.
Started de-capping them today and had the first decent inspection. I discovered that every one of them had an off-centre groove cut just outside of the primer pocket. Can't say I noticed any accuracy problems (hard to tell in that situation) and don't imagine it should affect accuracy, but I still have 25 left and intend putting a few into a target to check this.
Checked them against other federal brass from previous batches (photo below) and the good ones have a slightly rounded outer edge on the pocket, whereas these ones look quite square.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 1320490317

Has anyone come across this before?
Any reason why I shouldn't carry on reloading them?
Would it be unreasonable for me to ask the manufacturer for replacements?
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Re: Grooves in Brass

Post by GaCop »

I'm not sure if a pocket swaging tool would help straighten that out. It looks like the pockets are slightly off center when a primer is seated. I'd contact Federal.

Tom
predhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by predhunter »

i have the same thing on 20 rounds i picked up but have a box i picked up a couple weeks ago that dont have it.
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

GaCop wrote:I'm not sure if a pocket swaging tool would help straighten that out. It looks like the pockets are slightly off center when a primer is seated. I'd contact Federal.

Tom
Primer pockets seem pretty concentric - compared them against other shells and there's no bigger variation.
Inside pocket diameter is even the same.
I've got a pocket uniforming tool due any day, but can't see that it will change anything as it shouldn't cut the face.

How does a swaging tool work?
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Looks like they ran the rounds through a misaligned military primer pocket crimper.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

It does look like you have some 204 rounds that were crimped with a military primer pocket. You can probably just use your brass chamfer and deburring tool very lightly since it is just a few cases. Or you could use a tool made specifically for removing crimps. Hornady and Dillon both make one, but Dillon is expensive.

I use this tool on 223 if I run across crimped brass and it would work for your brass. It works very well and doesn't cut the primer pocket any deeper.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/501588 ... tool-small
GaCop

Post by GaCop »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:
GaCop wrote:I'm not sure if a pocket swaging tool would help straighten that out. It looks like the pockets are slightly off center when a primer is seated. I'd contact Federal.

Tom
Primer pockets seem pretty concentric - compared them against other shells and there's no bigger variation.
Inside pocket diameter is even the same.
I've got a pocket uniforming tool due any day, but can't see that it will change anything as it shouldn't cut the face.

How does a swaging tool work?
I use the bench mounted Dillon swager. It pushed a primer pocket shaped ram into the pocket and forces/swages any crimp back into the base, no brass removed.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

GaCop, absolutely the Dillon is the best. Anyone shooting lots of crimped brass should probably buy it. Those like myself, who don't shoot much crimped brass or the OP who apparently has a few 204 crimped cases wouldn't need to make that big an investment I don't think.
janesy
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 sps

Post by janesy »

I think I'd be calling federal...That's not what you paid for.
GaCop

Post by GaCop »

DoubleUp wrote:GaCop, absolutely the Dillon is the best. Anyone shooting lots of crimped brass should probably buy it. Those like myself, who don't shoot much crimped brass or the OP who apparently has a few 204 crimped cases wouldn't need to make that big an investment I don't think.
Your so right. I load for a couple of ARs and use military brass in those exclusively. I invested in my Dillon tool back in the 80s when I loaded a LOT of 223 for police tactical matches and off duty practice with my carbine.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Lapua brass looks that way - except the ring is concentric. These cases are not crimped. If it shot normally and if the brass deprimes normally I doubt its anything to worry about. Otherwise contact Federal. They will probably explain it. In all likelihood it's just a cosmetic flaw that requires no action.

Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Contacted Federal on Friday.
Got a quick reply asking me for a picture, but nothing since.
I would consider buying a swaging tool if I were going to buy any military brass, but doubt I will.

Anyone got any idea when the Lapua .204 brass is due to hit shops?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sth Oz Dan wrote:Anyone got any idea when the Lapua .204 brass is due to hit shops?
Now THAT is the question of the decade. At this point in time, we don't even know if Lapua will make 204R brass. We do know that it is being considered, but no official word that they will at this time.

Right now, the only premium 204R brass we have available is Norma and Nosler (basically the same stuff).

By the way, on your "defective" cases.....I've seen that uneven primer stamp on many domestic cases over the years....doesn't affect a single thing, purely cosmetic. Don't sweat it.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Thanks Rick.
I've since used a few more of those rounds and had no problems.
There's no wind outside and I have enough space to shoot at home (80 acres with broadacre cereal crops next door). Might put a few into paper this morning
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

5 shot groups at 100 yds
Grooved brass - 1.74" - wide spread too.
These were also shot with wind less than 5 knots
Regular brass - 0.95" - 3 shot group bottom right was 0.33"
Wind was blowing right to left 10-15 knots

??????????????????