How long is to long to the lands.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
shanghi
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger vt mII 204

How long is to long to the lands.

Post by shanghi »

Hi All
I am a little confused about my long jump to the lands. I have just purchased a Ruger 204 VT and when I measured Seating depth of a factory round [federal 39grsbk] it measured oacl of 2.254th, now that is .195th off the lands my magazine only allows me another .010th in length for my hand load which will make my hand load 2.264th oacl other wise it wont fit my magazine.Is this to far to jump or would i be better off seating longer out and loading single shot?
I have read in the search that these little 204 dont mind a long jump,but was wondering if this is to long?
Thanks for any help
shanghi. :roll:
Last edited by shanghi on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: How long is to long to the lands.

Post by Joe O »

I haven't heard of a factory 204r yet, that didn't have a long throat,rquiriing, what would seem,excessive bullet jump.However, they all shoot well,and I suspect the reason was to develop higher velocities.(Wetherby did this).I only load single at 2.350 COAL for good accuracy.In your case I would load to magazine length,and go up and down a little ,to see what gives you the best groups.
Last edited by Joe O on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanghi

Post by shanghi »

Thanks Joe O for your reply, as you can see from my location i am in Australia so maybe Ruger sent there long throated rifles out to us.
Thanks Again
shanghi.
Last edited by shanghi on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The 204 Ruger seems to be one rifle/caliber that has a extra amount of freebore. It does not seem to matter with this caliber, overall. With that said however once you have a load that appears to be "Mr Right" then play with seating depth to treek it to the best you can. Of course this might mean loading your rifle one round at a time and not be able to use the magazine. Bill K :)
shanghi

Post by shanghi »

Thanks Bil K
I will do as you say, even with this factory ammo {federal 39gr sbk} they are shooting a 1-1/2" group@300yds at .195th off the lands,realy looking ford to reloading. :D :D :D
Thanks
shanghi.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Historically, it seems that the .204 can live quite well with a long jump to the lands...I shoot both bolt action and AR in the caliber and while my AR has a custom cut chamber that uses a .035" jump as the most accurate with the 39gr Sierra BK bullet, my CZ 227 has a longer chamber (2.020" from ogive) and the same bullet seating for that rifle produces a jump of 0.1710" and still gives me excellent groups at 100 yards...

Both rounds are using Win-748 powder and magnum primers...There is a negative accuracy difference if I use standard rifle primers..I used to have a Savage that had what I considered an excessively long jump as well...but if I wanted to use a rifle as a single shot, I would have purchased one in that configuration...
AR
Factory/Factory
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

Post by GaCop103 »

shanghi wrote:Thanks Bil K
I will do as you say, even with this factory ammo {federal 39gr sbk} they are shooting a 1-1/2" group@300yds at .195th off the lands,realy looking ford to reloading. :D :D :D
Thanks
shanghi.
1.5" at 300 yards is not bad at all.

Tom