New 20 Caliber 34 & 40 grain Bullets

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
merdit
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 4x4

Re: New 20 Caliber 34 & 40 grain Bullets

Post by merdit »

I would like to give your bullets a try, however my Savage will not chamber a berger hp from the magazine. Is there a chance that with your smaller hp that I would be able to get them to work, or is this something anybody could help me out with?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I don't have many savage rifles and have never ran into this particular problem on any of my rifles. I can tell you that my bullets are more streamlined than the berger bullets and therefore more like the Vmax design. If it is in fact the hp or bullet design of the bergers giving you trouble then i would be inclined to believe that my bullets would work fine. They have chambered fine in all the rifles that i have tested them in. If you continue to have problems with the rifle chambering certain bullets i would give Savage a call and speak with their tech department.
merdit wrote:I would like to give your bullets a try, however my Savage will not chamber a berger hp from the magazine. Is there a chance that with your smaller hp that I would be able to get them to work, or is this something anybody could help me out with?
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

merdit--I sent a PM your way about solving the cartridge feeding problem.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
cornstalker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Post by cornstalker »

I would like to give your bullets a try, however my Savage will not chamber a berger hp from the magazine. Is there a chance that with your smaller hp that I would be able to get them to work, or is this something anybody could help me out with?
I'd be curious to hear how that pans out. My Savage feeds Bergers like butter.

wirelessguy2005, I just ordered a box of 34 grainers to try out. We'll see if I can add to your terminal performance photos.

I'll probably be needing a .20 cal flash hole debur tool and a VLD case mount chamfer tool soon as well. Looks like you make quality equipment.

Thanks for the thread to draw my attention to your products.
wirelessguy2005

Thank You for the order. I always appreciate more terminal performance photos so feel free to email them over. The 20 cal flash hole debur and the VLD case mouth chamfer tool have been very popular items, i am sure they will exceed your expectations.

Thanks,
Brad
cornstalker wrote:
I'd be curious to hear how that pans out. My Savage feeds Bergers like butter.

wirelessguy2005, I just ordered a box of 34 grainers to try out. We'll see if I can add to your terminal performance photos.

I'll probably be needing a .20 cal flash hole debur tool and a VLD case mount chamfer tool soon as well. Looks like you make quality equipment.

Thanks for the thread to draw my attention to your products.
cornstalker
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Post by cornstalker »

Got them today and they look good. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get them on paper, with the dove opener coming up. Will let you know how they do.

Thanks again.
wirelessguy2005

Here is a review and some load data on the 40 grain bullets from a member on the saubier forum:

Brad and his company "CUstom Reloading Tools"makes good stuff!! His reloading blocks were the first to show up here along with the "range block". Then I got the reloading funnels and the VLD deburring tools along with some cleaning patches. And last BUT not least, some 20 caliber 40 grain, HPFB projectiles. Brad, They will stabilize sufficiently in a 12 twist to be :for consideration". After a couple trips to the bench utilizing only IMR 8208 and AA2520, I am convinced that rurther testing is needed along with "blow up factor" on vermin!!! Tne 40 gtain HPFB bullets will turn in groups of .3-.6" out of the 12 twist Savage barrel with regularity. Load up down to 2.28" and with the 8208 give good results. Not so with the AA2520!! Load them both to 2.368" and no difference found (that's still .042 from the lands in this barrel!! but the bullet still stay in the brass! V3locity............I know some of you speed guys want to know................pushed them to 3900 with decent results ! 3850ish seems to be where accuracy and velocity collide. Bottom line is, CRT makes good products!! Do yourself a favor and try some of their offerings...............just wait till you screw that VLD deburring fixture into an RCBS Case Prep Center!!! Thanks for the samples Brad (cleaning patches). If the products hadn't been superior I'd have told you so and posted likewise. But so far you have a convert here!! Charlie (GHD)
tundrabob
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12Fv 204 Ruger

Post by tundrabob »

I would certainly like to try 40 grain flat base bullets when you make them. After trying many bullets in the 204, I only shoot Berger 40gr flat base bullets now.
Bob
wirelessguy2005

Bob,

Thank you for the interest in our 40 grain HPFB bullets. They are In Stock and available for sale on the website. If you are happy with the Berger 40's i think you will be extremely impressed with the 40 grain Flat Base that we offer. Here is a link to the page: http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_016.htm

Please PM or email me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Brad
tundrabob wrote:I would certainly like to try 40 grain flat base bullets when you make them. After trying many bullets in the 204, I only shoot Berger 40gr flat base bullets now.
Bob
wirelessguy2005

i have been getting some great feedback on the terminal performance of our 34 and 40 grain bullets on coyote. Based on the information that i am receiving the bullets are giving solid penetration without exiting the yote. I figured i would pass the information along. It also got me thinking about a contest. Would you guys be interested in a contest for coyote season?
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

yes I would like a contest. What are the rules? :D
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
wirelessguy2005

I am open to suggestions on how the winner is decided. The contest would require the use of 34 or 40 Grain CRT bullets. The winner would get 500 CRT bullets of their choice (thats $140 value). How many guys would be interested?
ryutzy wrote:yes I would like a contest. What are the rules? :D
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

As far as contest i would be in it but just for the fun of it not to win any thing. Do it on a points system.

To even it out we shouldnt make it just a coyote comp. Need to include fox/gray and red and possibly what ever the guys across the pond are shooting for predaters.

Although i would not be elgible for the fact i am not shooting any CRT bullets. Nothing against brad and his crew he makes very fine products but my rifle likes 39sbks and i have a very large stock of them loaded and ready to go.

Might want to start a thread all to its self and make shure the mods are up to it they can become alot of work.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I think the contest needs to be fairly simple---if we add too many different types of critters, then the variables/advantages will vary like crazy in different parts of the country. Yes I think including fox is fair etc, I think the fox season in most states is close enough to each other that that would be ok. Coyote season is pretty much open all in the winter everywhere. Obviously if Brad is offering the competition, he makes the rules. I just am offering my 2 cents.

Yes I would just be in it for the fun of it also, but 500 bullets would be a nice prize.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
wirelessguy2005

i like the feedback so far. Seems like a contest with Coyote and Fox would keep things fairly simple. I am still open to idea's on how we gauge who wins. For those of you that have pet loads worked up with other bullets that's ok with me. I was hoping to get a few people to showcase the effectiveness of our 34 and 40 grain bullets, many of you have ordered CRT bullets so i am sure they will be represented in this contest. Any and all feedback is appreciated, i would like to get as many people as possible involved in the contest.