powder funnel & shell holder for 204

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

powder funnel & shell holder for 204

Post by mcseal2 »

I have been loading guns from 22-250 on up to 300 win mag for a while, but it seems none of my old equipment works real well for the 204. I've been shooting some factory loads, but now I have the bullets, powder, and brass to start loading as soon as I get the right equipment. I have a RCBS shell holder for my press that works for 204 & 223, but none of the shell holders for my Lee hand primer tool seem to fit right. Also all my funnels are for 22 cal on up. I was at the Cabelas in KC last sunday and they didn't have anything that would help me either. Where should I look and what should I order to get the right equipment?

Thanks!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: powder funnel & shell holder for 204

Post by Rick in Oregon »

mcseal2: Some of the very best .20 cal loading tools are available from one of our own, Brad at Customreloadingtools.com. His powder funnels have interchangeable tips for .17, 20, and .22 cals, and are some of the best handloading tools I've used (and I've used alot of 'em).

http://www.customreloadingtools.com/

Between CRT and Sinclair International, you can find virtually everything you'll ever need for your 204R and then some. Oh, and I'm using my Lee shellholder in my Sinclair hand priming tool for all my 223 case family of varmint cartridges including all my 204's, and it works perfectly...sumthin' else may be the culprit (Hornady brass?).

http://www.sinclairintl.com/

No slam to Cabelas, but those kind of outfits really do not cater to the world of precision shooters, but the above two outfits indeed do, and are a much better choice.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bfishj
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Post by bfishj »

I would get one of the aluminum powder funnels specific to the .204 from Sinclair.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... der_Funnel

Really like the one I have.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bfishj: I've got four .204-specific powder funnels, including the Satern from Sinclair......I vote for the CRT unit after using all of them, but that's JMO.

Unless you've used the CRT unit with the interchangeable tips, don't think you've used the best.......yet. Combined with their tighter holding loading and bench trays machined to eliminate wobble and slop found in other units, it's really a precision arrangement and a joy to use if you're a precision-oriented kind of guy. The powder funnel will sit securely in place atop a case in your loading block without any tipping or wobble, and fits better than any other combination I've ever used in over 40 years of doing this. Purely subjective I know, but that's what I've found.

The CRT Bench Tray with some .20 Vartargs:

I've been a dedicated Sinclair customer for many years, still am, but I predict eventually they'll try to pick up this line of equipment before someone else does, it's that good if that tells you anything. Again, JMO
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Rick thank you for the kind words about my products, i appreciate your support.

MCSEAL2 : Just to let you know we offer a Money Back Gurantee on all our products. If you would like to give them a try you can do so without taking any risk. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I am sure others will chime in as well, many of the members on this forum are using the tools that we produce.

Brad
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

Rick in Oregon wrote:bfishj: I've got four .204-specific powder funnels, including the Satern from Sinclair......I vote for the CRT unit after using all of them, but that's JMO.

Unless you've used the CRT unit with the interchangeable tips, don't think you've used the best.......yet. Combined with their tighter holding loading and bench trays machined to eliminate wobble and slop found in other units, it's really a precision arrangement and a joy to use if you're a precision-oriented kind of guy. The powder funnel will sit securely in place atop a case in your loading block without any tipping or wobble, and fits better than any other combination I've ever used in over 40 years of doing this. Purely subjective I know, but that's what I've found.

The CRT Bench Tray with some .20 Vartargs:

I've been a dedicated Sinclair customer for many years, still am, but I predict eventually they'll try to pick up this line of equipment before someone else does, it's that good if that tells you anything. Again, JMO
I have to agree with Rick on this one, CRT products are awesome! I too have been loading over 40 years, and this is the best powder funnel I have ever seen!! I also really like his flash hole uniforming tool and blocks. just my $.02 but I wish I had bought one of his funnels years ago! :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

1up Brads funnels are great . I dont see how i ever got by without it.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

+1 on Brad's equipment.I eliminated the funnel step from my mass loading by modifying a Lyman Pan/funnel to work with 20cal,as I use a electronic powder dispensor for most of my rifle loading.No loading blocks needed as well.

The Lee case holder may need to have it's corners filed down to work with Hornady brass.Had the same problem.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I like the Satern powder funnels as well, I have 6 of them. They fit tightly and are hands free. They go on sale at times for about $10. The Frankford Arsenal reloading tray #2 is a great fit for the 204, 223, Fireball and 20 VarTarg sized cases. I have another tray in a #2 short on the way to see if it will be an easier fit for the shorter Fireball cases. I prefer the Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods, they will not harm the barrels. The 17 and 20 caliber calibers require smaller equipment as the standard 22 caliber stuff just will not fit. Be careful though, you entered the 20 caliber world and it is addictive, can't shoot just one! :camper: :cheer: :cheer:
Please, no Sidewinder today!
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I too have been using a Saturn funnel for my 204. Very happy with it. But I also tried a Saturn funnel for my 223 reloading. Unfortunately the results are not similar. I use H335 in the 223 and this powder sticks inside the funnel where the brass tip is soldered to the aluminum of the funnel. I just received the funnel from Brad with 223 as well as 204 attachments. I have not had a chance to use either of them, but from what I see, this funnel is the answer to my problem.
Thank you Brad
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

You are very welcome, glad to hear that you like the new funnel. I think you will be even more impressed once you get a chance to use it. Keep me posted on how it works out for you.

Brad

futuretrades wrote:I too have been using a Saturn funnel for my 204. Very happy with it. But I also tried a Saturn funnel for my 223 reloading. Unfortunately the results are not similar. I use H335 in the 223 and this powder sticks inside the funnel where the brass tip is soldered to the aluminum of the funnel. I just received the funnel from Brad with 223 as well as 204 attachments. I have not had a chance to use either of them, but from what I see, this funnel is the answer to my problem.
Thank you Brad
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

Post by mcseal2 »

I PM'd Brad about the funnel. Thanks everyone for your help.
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

I reamed out then slicked up the opening (400 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 16D sinker nail) of one of my green plastic RCBS funnels I used for my .17 Rem to just fit over the mouth of the .20. At least H4895, IMR 8208 and all ball powders easily flow through the opening. If I tried R10X it probably would flow through also. I gotta hold onto both case and funnel when I drop the charge from the powder measure.

I use an ancient RCBS Rockchucker press and the shell holder that Lee provided with their collet dies and the RCBS #10 shell holder work just fine.