Redding S type dies?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Virginian
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR 15

Redding S type dies?

Post by Virginian »

Hello,

I just purchased my first .204 for my AR upper and I'm gathering up the items for load development. I purchased the "S" type dies from Redding and I'm unsure where to start with regards to the bushing sizer that applies pressure to the neck. Reddings charts says .222 - .230, that's a spead of 9 bushings at $13.95 ea, I would only like to buy what I need. Can someone point me in the right direction for these bushings I need to order to get started?

http://www.redding-reloading.com/online ... ange-chart

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... 85_to__250

Thank you,

Eric
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Redding S type dies?

Post by ryutzy »

I use .224 What you need to do is measure the neck diameter of a piece of the exact brass that you will be using with a bullet seated in the case. Take the overall measurement of the neck and subtract .002-.003 and that is the bushing that you should start with. I shoot an AR so I want more neck tension, so I went with .003 and I had good results. My measurement was .227 and so I subtracted .003 and I use .224 bushing. I tried .225 but I got better results with .224
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

+1 on that.My loaded rounds measure .228 with three different brass Mfg,so I use a .226 bushing.You may want a .224 in the event you want to turn the necks, to clean them up.
Virginian
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR 15

Post by Virginian »

ryutzy & Joe O,

Thank you, that's a huge help and will get me started in the right direction.

Eric