34gr Dogtown and RL-10X

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
GaCop103
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 110 in 204

34gr Dogtown and RL-10X

Post by GaCop103 »

I'm getting good results with RL-10X/24.5 grains and the Dogtown 34 gr HP's. I'm seating the Dogtowns .008" OTL, BR4 primers and fully prepped Winchester brass trimmed to 1.842". 100 yard groups are averaging .447". Velocity in the mid 3800 fps range. This appears to be a mild load as bolt lift is not stickey and primers show no signs of a hot load. Range temp was 85 degrees with a 7 mph headwind.

Tom
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 34gr Dogtown and RL-10X

Post by Bill K »

Tom. I am getting results about the same and in the same load range, as you. I tried going higher into the mid to high 25gr range and did start showing pressure signs, so have backed off. Especially with the 39 gr Sierra BK's. I mostly go for accuracy rather than speed,so that is not a problem with me, to back off and be safe, rather than sorry. I know many want speed and more speed, but safety first, is my go to motto. Bill K :D
GaCop103

Post by GaCop103 »

I agree Bill. I too saw accuracy degrade and a pressure increase on heavier charges. I prefer accuracy to blinding speed too. I'll be doing a 20 round test today to be sure my initial results weren't a fluke.

Tom
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

GaCop103 wrote:I agree Bill. I too saw accuracy degrade and a pressure increase on heavier charges. I prefer accuracy to blinding speed too. I'll be doing a 20 round test today to be sure my initial results weren't a fluke.

Tom
Exactly what I am finding out Tom. I am also playing with 8208xbr and like it, as well as the RL10. I, for one, enjoy our fellow shooter and poster (RIO) and his comments, views and take on some loads in these small calibers that we enjoy. I think he , and some others, are more after accuracy rather than the full bore speed. I was told many moons ago, "A slow hit is better than a fast miss". Bill K ;) ;)
GaCop103

Post by GaCop103 »

Retested the 24.5 grain load using identical data to the original and accuracy was poor, any where from 1.182" to the smallest being .717" SD/ES was all over the place. The only thing different this time was the use of once fired brass that was first full length sized due to a few cases being real tight to chamber (new brass, fully prepped and collet sized?). The cases were then collet sized to reduce/eliminate any possible neck runout. Back to the loading bench................gonna try H335 this time with the Dogtown's seated to 2.030". I can't seat the 34gr HPs far enough out to touch the lands and still be in the case neck. I don't have this problem with the 39gr SBKs or the 40 gr A-Max.

Is it possible that I'm seating the Dogtown's out too far leaving little of the bullet in the case neck. My seating depth right now looks like the bullet is only seated about 1/8" into the case neck.

Tom