How much is 0.1 inch worth in fps?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: How much is 0.1 inch worth in fps?

Post by Jim White »

The key to getting the true feedback from your loads is consistency; Consistency of the load, of the firearm and most importantly, the shooter.

The fundamental rules of target shooting for the shooter was, and still is: front-sight, sight alignment and trigger control. The positions:

- Standing slow fire (off-hand @ 200 yds).
- Standing to sitting rapid fire (standing to sitting w/2-mags (one with 2-rounds the other w/ 8-rounds @ 200 yds in 60 seconds),
- Standing to prone rapid fire rapid fire (standing to prone w/2-mags (one with 2-rounds the other w/ 8-rounds @ 300 yds in 70 seconds)
- Prone slow fire (prone @ 500/600/800/1000 yds).

For each discipline, the fundamentals had to be applied. Naturally, the different positions presented different challenges that had to be overcome to "consistently" put the shot on target and different methods were used by different shooters.

Where I'm going with this is, in order to get the most knowledge from your efforts is to;

1. Take the time to get set up on the bench where you can squeeze every shot of the same way; each-time...every time. Find your NPA (Natural Point of Aim). You should not have to force the rifle into position, no matter how slight or how severe.
2. Focus on the reticle, not the target. Ensure, check and double check that you're looking thru the scope the same way, every time.
3. Squeeze the trigger. To the best of your ability, the only part of your body that should be moving when squeezing the trigger is your trigger finger and done in such away that no other motion(s) are induced on to the fire arm.
4. Breath. Don't hold your breath.
5. If you can't get a good shot off...STOP. Take a moment or two and look away and then try again. DON'T for a shot.

To see how a load does, if possible try it @ 300 yards. In my target shooting days that was the distance that a subpar load would show there true colors.

Target dot scopes (aka FCD, Dot reticle, Target-Dot and others) are great for target work. I tried them in the field on sage rats and they weren't to my liking, YMMV. If possible I'll take a fine cross hair, a fine duplex and the varmint reticles from the various manufacturers for varmint work.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Re: How much is 0.1 inch worth in fps?

Post by GaCop »

The Vortex Viper line of scope is crisp and clear. The price is reasonable AND their warranty is "NO BS". If something is wrong, they will fix or replace it no hassle.