R C B S competition dies

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

R C B S competition dies

Post by btlbrn »

Anybody have experience with these? Am thinking of upgrading from standard two die set. What is your favorite die maker and why ? :?:
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: R C B S competition dies

Post by Jim White »

I use Redding competition dies because they are more readly available than the RCBS competition dies.

Redding dies are good and they back them up. To be fair, RCBS has always done good by me too. Another die that is good and I have loaded countless 308 target loads and that is Bonanza-Forrester National Match dies.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

[quote="btlbrn"]Anybody have experience with these?

I have been using RCBS competition bullet seating die for 204 and 223 for over 5 years now. I get excellent results with them, although I don't check for run-out. I settled for the RCBS seating die only because of the side bullet installation port. Makes things a lot easier for me, handling these 32 gr pills, on the 20 cal.
As a side note though, I will be ordering a set of Redding competition type "S" dies for the new Cooper I have on the way in 20 Var Targ. I think I will need all the help I can get for forming 221 fireball cases to the 20VT, and I am looking to get everything I can, out of this new Cooper rifle, as far as accuracy.
I do have mostly RCBS dies, because that is what was recommended to me when I got into reloading. But I do use Redding dies for my 204, and I am using a set of Lyman dies for 38's. All of the dies I am using and have used over the years have served me very well, but the quality of RCBS has fallen off unfortunately, as they are just down the road from me.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

futuretrades wrote:
btlbrn wrote:Anybody have experience with these?

I have been using RCBS competition bullet seating die for 204 and 223 for over 5 years now. I get excellent results with them, although I don't check for run-out. I settled for the RCBS seating die only because of the side bullet installation port. Makes things a lot easier for me, handling these 32 gr pills, on the 20 cal.
As a side note though, I will be ordering a set of Redding competition type "S" dies for the new Cooper I have on the way in 20 Var Targ. I think I will need all the help I can get for forming 221 fireball cases to the 20VT, and I am looking to get everything I can, out of this new Cooper rifle, as far as accuracy.
I do have mostly RCBS dies, because that is what was recommended to me when I got into reloading. But I do use Redding dies for my 204, and I am using a set of Lyman dies for 38's. All of the dies I am using and have used over the years have served me very well, but the quality of RCBS has fallen off unfortunately, as they are just down the road from me.
I hadn't heard about any quality issues, can you expound? :?:
T I A
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

I use the Forester Comp die set and a Lee collet die. The collet die gives me neck runout between .001"/.003" depending on brand of brass. My best results are with Winchester.
stef
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by stef »

I too am a fan of Lee collet dies. I also like the Lee seater.

Depending on the load used I full length size using a body die each 3-5 times. I also outside turn necks with a RCBS outside neck turner spinning the cases with part of a Redding case trimmer. When using factory cases with the Lee collet dies I only turn them the absolute minimum so they barely clean up.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

btlbrn wrote:Anybody have experience with these? Am thinking of upgrading from standard two die set. What is your favorite die maker and why ? :?:
I use mostly RCBS dies, although I have some Redding and Hornady. RCBS, WHY? because a phone call to them in Oroville, Ca. will get results and anything that they make and make good, if you did have a problem. I have used and gone to them since about 1955 when I started reloading and have never, never had a problem with them. Bill K :D