Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tips Quality

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
bfishj
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tips Quality

Post by bfishj »

I recently purchased a couple boxes of Nosler BTLF for my 204. When I was seating the bullets I noticed roughly 1 out of 3 looked like it had the ballistic "tip" shaved off on one side. Has anyone else noticed this? Curious if it has an effect on aerodynamics and in turn accuracy? Seems a little suspect they would pass through QC but maybe I am being too picky...
Last edited by bfishj on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tips Quality

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bfishj wrote: When I was seating the bullets I noticed roughly 1 out of 3 looked like it had the ballistic shaved off on one side.
By "ballistic", do you mean the poly bullet tip? They are perfectly concentric at insertion....no shaving takes place in the process.........How did they shoot?

I'm betting they will or did shoot just fine, but if not, call Mike Harris at Nosler at 541.382.3921 ext. 1046 to sort it out. He's the "Answer Guy".
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

bfishj
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Post by bfishj »

I was in the process of loading and haven't shot them yet. I separated them off to the side.

Thanks for the contact info. I have shot quite a few of them in the past and never really noticed this being an issue.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

I wouldn't worry about it. After seeing a demo on the "truth box" (can't remember the web address) minor issues with the bullet tip don't bother me. It's the base that really seems to affect performance. Seems counter intuitive but they really mucked up some bullets and the accuracy wasn't affected nearly as much as one would think.

Found the link: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot49.htm
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.