Bullet Choice Help.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Bullet Choice Help.

Post by The Reloader »

I am Looking The Most Accurate 204 Bullet That Does not expand or "blow up" Small Game. Is There A Bullet That is made for just penatration but not make a huge hole or detroy the meat?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Bullet Choice Help.

Post by Bill K »

I know of none, at this time, for the .20 cal. Maybe someone will come up with a FMJ i.e. some have from the .224 Bill K :)
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I don't really think of the 204 Ruger as a "Meat-Round", unless you mean "Ground-Round"!!!
The Reloader

Post by The Reloader »

Yes I understand the 204 is not the Perfect round for saving meat on small game BUT I am going to use it for so and Im just looking for my Best of the choices I have. :)
K22

Post by K22 »

The 45 gr. sp that Hornady has might work.
Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Neil S. »

Use any bullet you like, just hit the little critters in the head! :lol: What are you planning on harvesting? Rabbits?

-Neil
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

As mentioned the 45 grain hornady would probably work however it takes a faster twist like 1:10 or more to stabilize that bullet. I would check into the Berger Bullets. The 35 or 40 grainers. They are a more solid bullet than any of the ballistic tips and Bergers are known for accuracy.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
The Reloader

Post by The Reloader »

LOL yea that was the plan to hit them in the head but still would like if they had 20 CAL FMJ And yes I would like to be able to eat the rabbits and Squirrels I kill. I know I could Use a 22 RimFire (Thats what everyone said when I was describing what I wanted as my next cartridge) But I wantd more distance and accuracy! XD And Now I will try the berger bullets next Thanx! Oh and so are the 50 grainers out of the question with a 1:12 Twist?
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Yes I would not waste my time with a 50 grainer in a 1:12. From what you just described you need a 17 HMR. Awesome round inside 200 yards for little critters. I shot a fat groundhog at 160 yards with mine and it was DRT, however large groundhogs will need a lil more gun over 130 yards if your shot isn't perfect. For rabbits and any of the squirrel family etc the 17 is what you need out to 200 yards.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
The Reloader

Post by The Reloader »

Accualy I have a Savage 93R17 I dont like it. Ever Since I got into reloading I hate relying on Factory Ammo. Ive Tried the few factory ammo they have out there are I not only get flyers every now and again but My grouping at 200 yards was crap. Not to mention I would hate putting big money into a caliber were its limitaions are not to much. Which is why I spent a few months putting money aside for my 204 I mean I didnt buy anything to expensive but TO ME $1400 is a great deal of money which is why IM trying to make this gun work for all my needs XD. But Anyway im going to pick up some Berger 40gr BT's tomorrow (if cabelas has them) of course in my state I cant get shipped bullets!!! :(
K22

Post by K22 »

ryutzy wrote:As mentioned the 45 grain hornady would probably work however it takes a faster twist like 1:10 or more to stabilize that bullet. I would check into the Berger Bullets. The 35 or 40 grainers. They are a more solid bullet than any of the ballistic tips and Bergers are known for accuracy.
This is true, but the Hornady 45gr.sp seem to be the exception. I'm sure your rifle will stabilize them.
204_au
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS stainless

Post by 204_au »

I'm using 32gr. V-Max for rabbits.. as long as you place shots in the head/neck area there will be no or very little meat damage.
The Reloader

Post by The Reloader »

You Guys say that a 1:12 twist cant stabalize the 40gr V-Max Does This go the same for 40 gr bergers? Maybe it differnt with the the hollow point?
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

The Reloader--I don't know if GENCO is still making bullets. I think Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC purchased GENCO and I don't know if they make .204 caliber bullets,

http://shop.reedsammo.com/

but I shot some 26 gr. RBT HP GENCO bullets out of my .17 Remington at about 3,900+ fps at prairie dogs and they didn't blow them up like my other varmint bullets. Maybe they would be "meat saving" bullets???

The answer to the question, "will my 1 in 12 twist .204 caliber barrel stabilize a 40 gr. bullet?" is MAYBE!!! I don't think anyone can unequivocally tell you whether you particular barrel will or won't stabilize a 40 gr. projectile. The only way I think you can answer that question is by shooting the bullets from your barrel.

My old Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger with a 1 in 12 twist barrel shoots the 40 gr. Nosler BT bullets fairly accurately. I did try lots of the 40 gr. V-Max and the about 100 of the old 40 gr. Berger LTB bullets and never had one tumble on me, but accuracy was not up to my requirements.

So, before you write off the 40 gr. projectiles as not suitable for your 1 in 12 twist .204 caliber rifle, you need to shoot some of them first.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
The Reloader

Post by The Reloader »

thanx for that response there are just so many combinations as we all know I would like to knock off the least likely for now. I really dont need a heavy bullet I just wanted something that might sit closer to the lands since I have an over sized chamber. I think My next try will be the Berger 35grain match kings. And I will check into the Genco rounds. Thanx man!