OAL PROBLEMS

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
MUSKY
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

OAL PROBLEMS

Post by MUSKY »

Hi all!
Recently bought myself a Howa 1500 Axiom in 204 Ruger!
Problem is I am struggling to get a consistent reading of my oal useing my oal guage and compariter.
I am trying to get a load going with 32gr v max's.
Just got some 35gr Bergers but hav'nt tried them in the gauge yet.
Anyone else had similar problems?
Cheers!!! :wall:
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: OAL PROBLEMS

Post by Joe O »

Exactly what problem?If you are getting different readings when measuring bullets with the comparator,then sort your bullets into groups of sizes,before seating.
GaCop
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15, 24" stainless varmint barrel

Post by GaCop »

I've found that even Berger's can fluctuate up to .002" from base to ogive. I sort my bullets by length AND weight for all the benchrest calibers I load for. Some of the worst measurements (base to ogive) I've ever gotten were older Hornady A-Max that I've had for about 6 years, they varied up to .004". The new ones I've measured are far better.

Tom
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

You would be hard pressed to find any box of commercial bullets fall within .002-.004.I've had as much as .015 difference with Match bullets.So I sort,when working up loads for accuacy.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

There isn't any sense in chasing dead-on OAL with commercial bullets and reloading equipment. If measurements are made with a dial caliper and a comparator, pressure on the slide can change the reading depending on the "feel," too heavy and they are short, too light and they are long. A range of +/- .002" is good accuracy for varmint hunting and a factory rifle. The only time I obtained greater accuracy with OAL was using my own swagged jacketed bullets. Each was formed in the same dies using precision jackets at a slow production rate (boring, sleep inducing repetition). Yeah, I won a lot of useless trophies - but eventually factory bullets became so good there was no point to making my own.

Some Barnes bullets vary by up to .007" base to tip, but when seated by the ogive they are much more uniform - and shoot exceptionally well. You can try sorting by length, but I did that and came away with no appreciable gain in accuracy.

One thing I used to do is smoke the bullet (or Use a Sharpie) to mark the ogive, then use Sinclair's OAL depth gauge to mark the ogive against the rifling lead. Next I'd carefully contour the seating stem to seat only as close to that line as possible (seating stems can be returned to most manufacturers with some sample bullets for modification). If the bullet tip touches any part of the stem, then longer bullets would be seated deeper, and vice versa. OAL still varies when measured from the case head to the bullet tip, but is uniform to the ogive. After tinkering with all this rigamarole, I found that any accuracy gain was minimal, and superfluous for varmint hunting. Also be sure the primers are seated below the case head (up to .004") so they don't interfere with cartridge OAL measurements. If you are getting groups under .75" you are in the ballpark, and anything .5" or under is hard to beat.

Sounds to me like you are doing well.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

Well said John!