What COAL measurements are you using?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

What COAL measurements are you using?

Post by tpcollins »

In my first loads, my COAL was just under 2.300" and I was able get ogive to case head measurements on both Nosler 32gr VT and 39gr Sierra BK. When I checked the ogive to case head on the factory Hornady 32gr V-Max, the comparitor bottomed out against the case mouth.

I just loaded more Sierra 39gr BK over H4895 and decided to use the recommended 2.260" COAL but the comparitor bottoms out on the case mouth again. I like the Sierra but due to what I think are inconsistancies in the polymer tips, I'd rather establish future specs from the ogive to case head measurements meaning I have to extend the "recommended" COAL a bit longer.

I understand the reason is to ensure usage in any firearm but I can accomodate 2.300" in my Tikka magazine, and there's no problem seating the bullet at least one caliber deep in the cartridge at this measurement. Just wondering what COAL everyone uses when reloading? I'm almost thinking about taking my bullet puller and tapping them out a bit and resetting them a bit longer so I can get ogive readings. Thanks.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Re: What COAL measurements are you using?

Post by sharptailhunter »

What are you using to measure? If it's the Hornady/Stoney Point bullet comparator, which bushing are you using? My Nosler 32gr in Remington brass measures 2.033 - 2.034" ogive to headstamp using the Hornady 14-20 comparator bushing. The same load measuring bullet tip to headstamp using just the calipers is 2.83".
Malazan
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper .204

Post by Malazan »

If the OGIVE measurement is getting close to Factory Spec COAL, you have to use Sinclair's Hex style Comparator. I ran into the same problem.

One of my loads I'm liking is COAL 2.275, but I can't use my regular comparator, because it bottoms out on the case neck. I have to use the hex style, which I'll have to order :mad:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=6 ... PARATOR__2

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

I have a Davidson comparitors for 6mm and .20 caliber from Sinclair. If you have to use the Sinclair hex type to get ogive measurments for .204, that would mean manufactures are using different size holes in their comparitors - that makes no sense . . .
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

I can't speak for the other brands mentioned but my Hornady comparators have measured every bullet I have ever purchased.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Post by The Reloader »

I Am New To Using A Bullet Comparator But I have done 5 differnt loads with 5 differnt bullets and My Horandy Lock-N-Load measures the o-give of my 32g V-Max just fine. You Must be using the wrong size .. Maybe...? I even did a review on youtube using the comparator and the 32g vmax bullets