Crimping Imput

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Crimping Imput

Post by The Reloader »

What Crimping methods do you guys use? How Necessary is it in the field for the 204 is the neck tension good enough? And do you know is Lee Makes a Factory Crimp Die for the 204? How many of you use a roll crimp with the bullet seater?
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Re: Crimping Imput

Post by DoubleUp »

Personally I don't crimp 204, but I'm shooting a boltgun. I don't crimp for my AR in 223 either, but some people feel more secure doing so. I don't believe Lee makes an FCD for 204.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Never heard of any one crimping for 204 in a bolt. Doubt that it is needed in an AR but, I don't own one so really could not say.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I rely on Wilson neck sizing bushings for consistent neck tension.....
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Like the rest, I do not crimp.. Might if I shot a HDR, but as of now I do not. Bill K
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

There is some debate in reloading circles as to whether crimping really improves accuracy. Some swear by it, others say they have tried it and found no difference. It does not appear that Lee is making a factory crimo for the .204 yet. Roll crimping is a different beast than the kind of crimp you show in your video. A roll crimp requires the bullet to have a cannelure, like the bullets that you show in your video. If you do a roll crimp on a bullet without a cannelure, you will destort the dimensions of the bullet, especially a little guy like the 20 caliber.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I do not crimp my 204 and I am shooting an AR. I've never had any issues with enough neck tension either. I use Reddings neck bushing die and I use a bushing that gives me about 2.5 thousanth of neck tension.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Post by The Reloader »

Great Input guys thanx! Im glad i don't have to crimp since i think the majority say it hurts the accuracy.
mec1
.204 Ruger Guns: AR15

Post by mec1 »

Just so you know, Lee does not sell a crimp die, but they will make a custom one on request. You just have to send them two inert cartridges and I belive the cost was $30. I've had decent groups without crimping, but I crimp all my other calibers and get very good results with them. I'm pretty confident the .204 doesnt need a crimp to keep the bullet in place, but I think Lee's die may help give more consistent neck tension, which could tighten your groups. I've also noticed that Federal's 32gr Nosler load has a cannelure and is crimped, but my 32gr Noslers have no groove.
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

I find as well that crimp in my world don't exist, I do without doing it and on the times of performing it didn't do a thing for me so I do without it....
Semper Fi