What load to start with for Rem SPS Varmint

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
crazy_train04
.204 Ruger Guns: Weatherby Vanguard

What load to start with for Rem SPS Varmint

Post by crazy_train04 »

Hello Everyone.
I just purchased my first .204. It is a Remington SPS Varmint with 26" Barrel. Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with reloading for this rifle. I will be using this gun for ground hogs and other small critters out to 400 yards. I am going to reload and was wondering what bullet/powder/primers I should start out with, and what to stay away from. I guess I am just trying to save a few dollars on reloading supplies that I don't need to try if there are better ones to start with.
Thanks for any advice!
7mag
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 7, Zeiss 4.5-14x44-Rem 700, Zeiss 6.5-20x50-Cooper Pheon

Re: What load to start with for Rem SPS Varmint

Post by 7mag »

I have had good luck with hodgden powders. Benchmark, H4895, and BLC (2). All verry accurate in my rem's. For bullets I didn't find any "turds" so far. I find they shoot around .3 groups towards the high end of the load data. Try the 32 grain stuff with the Benchmark and the 39 & 40 grain stuff with the H4895 and BLC (2). I also load at a coal of 2.300. Found it to be great in 3 different rifles. Just remember to start a little low and watch for pressure. The .204 builds pressure fast when it starts.
Leave nothing in the field but your tracks.........(and a few carcasses!)
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

My 204's are a Ruger M77VT and a Rem 700 LVSF......

I agree the 32gr bullets are the place to start for your purposes......probably begin with the Sierra BK's or Nosler BT's.....

I've had excellent results with the 32gr bullets using IMR8208.....the new powder from Hodgdon/IMR.....the best groups being towards the max on the Hodgdon online data site.....but start low and work your way up to be safe.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!!
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

Crazy Train, I have a Savage 12 with a 26" barrel, which is why I believe you'll find an accuracy node within spittin' distance of 4000 fps, provided you're driving the 32-gr Nosler with RL-10X. I get there with 26.2 grains and CCI BR4 primers but I'm shooting hBN-coated bullets. You'll probably only need around 26.0 grains to reach the same velocity.

30.7-gr of BL-C(2) got me to the same node but groups were ever so slightly smaller with the Reloader. Either one of them averages less than 0.7" @200 yards.

Two notes of caution. First, both RL-10X and BL-C(2) are pretty temperature sensitive. I've seen velocities vary 250 fps with the same RL-10X load between cold days and hot. And second, as always, start low and sneak up gradually on your working charge.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

vmax does good on paper. benchmark and cci 400 do fine at the low end.
some loads that were done at 3500 fps with the 32g vmax were worked down very slowly and approaching the 60% rule were .6 moa in no wind. since these were done benchrest on paper targets i have no info on how that would do on yotes or pd. i have a remington 700 sps that is a sweet shooter. the only thing that i would have changed on it is the spring and floorplate to a detachable clip.

cheers