Die Care

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
The Reloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS Varmit

Die Care

Post by The Reloader »

Do you guys spray your dies with some kind or rust prevention? I Notice that since all my dies are not used every week that they begin to rust from fingerprints and possibly air moisture as well. I dehumidifier would help air moisture but avoiding fingerprints is impossible. Maybe just wipe the with some gun cleaner?
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Die Care

Post by Joe O »

Spraying with Hornady "One Shot" helps,and doesn't leave a residue.Having a source of heat in your loading room helps.My cave is unheated,but there is a chect type frezzer operating ,that produces a minimum amount of heat,that dries up some moisture.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Die Care

Post by ryutzy »

I dont know what the "proper" way is, but I spray some oil on the outside only of my dies and vigorously wipe them off with a cloth paper towel to leave no excess. I do this fairly often after use, I just need to do it more often to the dies that I dont use much. I try to keep everything as dry as possible to avoid powder contamination.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable