Neck sizing question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Kingcrawler
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Encore prohunter

Neck sizing question

Post by Kingcrawler »

Ok, I now have all my new Winchester brass fired 1 time. I purchased a redding neck sizer (not the bushings type) to neck size the brass after fire forming. I have loaded up about 30 rounds for testing and took them outside this morning to just see how they chambered. There is a slight bit of scratching or marring on the primers in about 10 of those 30 or so loaded rounds :( I have another 50 or so sized and primed cases and went back in to get them after my findings and discovered that a handful of them are showing the same sort of scratches after chambering in the rifle. I did the candle soot trick(on unprimed case) to see just what was being touched during sizing and the only thing being touched is the neck. Primer pockets were also uniformed so that eliminates high primers I would think. Also the gun is a Thompson encore prohunter. Any help would be much appreciated.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Neck sizing question

Post by futuretrades »

My first question would be, are the empties coming out of the rifle scratched. Next question is, after neck sizing, are they scratched. Also, do you notice resistance when closing the bolt when chambering a round. If so is the resistance quite hard. Was your once fired brass fired out of the same rifle. Just a few questions here, that need addressing.
I had a similar problem with some 223 brass a while back. I fl sized said brass before trying. The brass that had a lot of resistance when chambering, had noticeable scratches on the base, right up to the primer. I had to clean peeled brass out of the bolt. No matter what I tried, this brass was AFU. Only thing I could figure, is that this brass was fired through an auto loader, and the base of the brass was warped from a violent extraction. This is only conjecture on my part, but that is the only brass I have ever had any problems with. Even military once fired brass, that we know was fired thru auto loaders.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Kingcrawler

Post by Kingcrawler »

I'm sorry I should have provided more information. The brass was brand new brass that has been fired in my rifle only. The rifle is a encore and I really can't tell any difference on how it locks up but I can definately tell buy the way the primers are scored that some are chambering tighter than others. I also full length sized the brass before their initial firing and didn't notice this before. I may just be over thinking this thing especially since I'm not havin any problems locking the gun up.
RoadKill
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem. 700VLS and 23" G2 barrel on older Contender

Post by RoadKill »

The T/C Encore and Contender actions give considerably more when fired than bolt action guns allowing the case to stretch more. Check out bellmtcs.com for some good reading on how to make life with the T/C break open guns more enjoyable. Neck sizing only for these things is pretty much a no-no.
Kingcrawler

Post by Kingcrawler »

Gotcha, may just go to full length sizing seeing how I had no problem with the initial firing.