how often do u clean your gun

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
DRENALINEjunky
.204 Ruger Guns: t/c venture predator

how often do u clean your gun

Post by DRENALINEjunky »

im trying different loads for my venture and was wondering how often you guys clean your guns. and how many shots after the cleaning are "wasted" due to oil in the barrel?
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: how often do u clean your gun

Post by ryutzy »

Here's what I do and it works for me.
After cleaning and before I start shooting target I will fire one round as a fouler round. One round will usually take care of the excess oil. (assuming you lightly oiled the barrel) I now am using Lock-Ease instead of oil as the last step in the cleaning process for the bore only. Lock-Ease helps eliminate copper fouling as well as creates less friction in your barrel. Lock-Ease also eliminates the need for the fouler round before you start shooting. I am still testing Lock-Ease for myself, and so far it looks to be working great. There are many others on this forum that use Lock-Ease and have much more experience with it than I do. I'm hoping that they will chime in for you. Lock-Ease will also give you extended shooting time between cleanings----number of rounds fired depends on caliber etc. If you use Lock-Ease run one wet patch through the bore and allow it to dry for 15 min, then run one dry patch through the bore to clean out the excess. Do a search within this forum and you should find lots of info on it if you are interested.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I clean mine when it's dirty. Never shoot it with oil in the barrel.
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

I clean my rifle after every use................ but I ONLY clean my barrel when accuracy is going south.
Semper Fi
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

NESHOOTER wrote:I clean my rifle after every use................ but I ONLY clean my barrel when accuracy is going south.
Same here but if I'm going to be shooting it again in short order I will refoul the bore.
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

Same here but if I'm going to be shooting it again in short order I will refoul the bore.
Yessir, thats the way to do it.
Semper Fi