problems reloading with once fired brass

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Re: problems reloading with once fired brass

Post by hemiallen »

Yes, I see it now... must have been between buying something and not focusing....

I agree, that keeping the brass seperated, and using the appropriate die that works ( sounds like John now has 2 sets of size dies) using ammo boxes is the best bet, I currently have $100 worth of boxes in my Midway cart to do just that, store all my brass currently in various locations AND segregate by each gun, using a new garage-sale labler to help so anyone else...lol...can ready what I usually just sharpie on masking tape....

Allen
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

ShotgunRed50, I load for four ARs, one of which is a .204 and have never considered a small base die... When a problem that you are describing happens, it due to the FL sizing die not being correctly adjusted....Turn your die down 1/8 turn each time until the case seats easily in the chamber.... When pressure is applied on the press, it should 'cam over' after coming down fully on the sizing stroke...

Secondly, make sure that your chamber is really clean.... I take a piece of cleaning rod with the chamber brush and chuck it in a cordless drill, apply a few drops of oil on the brush and spin it in the chamber for 20-30 seconds and then wipe it out with a clean patch....I think you will find that your rounds seat more easily and with less problems....

My .204 AR has a match grade barrel with a custom cut chamber that is a little tighter/shorter than most factory produced chambers and my barrel maker included a piece of surplus barrel that was chamber cut at the same time as a check gauge for me to check my brass and finished loads...Once in awhile, I will find a piece of brass that didn't size properly and can resize it before charging and seating a bullet...Maybe you should look into obtaining something similar...
AR
Factory/Factory
shotgunred50
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 sales AR-15 .204

Post by shotgunred50 »

Well guys I really appreciate your advice and I am definatley going to be looking into some different dies. I have been using RCBS full length dies. It seems the problem is that even when i size the brass the diameter of the shoulder is wider than factory brass and I believe that may be why the once fired brass will not chamber completely. I also push the brass all the way into the sizer die until the die makes contact with the shellcase. It seems if the brass would go into the die a little farther it may help but it bottoms out on the die.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

red50: I won't trash-talk RCBS dies, but I'll just say that ever since I replaced all my precision rifle dies (not big game calibers necessarily) for my varmint calibers with Redding dies, all my TIR issues, oversize case bodies after sizing, not being able to reach the shoulder if wanted....all these issues went away after going with Redding.

For press-mounted 7/8"-14 dies, I don't think there's a better choice than Redding. Forester is also very good, I just settled on Redding and have never looked back. Average TIR for my varmint calibers using their neck or F/L sizing dies, and seating with their Competition Seating Die usually produces loaded rounds with TIR running from zero to .0015".......I could never achieve that using RCBS dies.....never. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

+1 what Rick said! I learned the hard way and spent too much money on cheaper dies. I also went to Redding and I'm totally SOLD!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable