Imperial Dry Neck Lube

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
richnmib

Imperial Dry Neck Lube

Post by richnmib »

This is probably a dumb question but I will ask anyway, I ordered some of this lube and was wondering...do I just dip the neck into the container and then neck size? I have never used it as I have never neck sized before. Thanks.
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Imperial Dry Neck Lube

Post by Bill K »

First, no question is dumb, if you do not know and what to know the answer. I use the same lube and just wipe a little, with my fingers, on the case and every forth round put just a little in the mouth of the case, if the case seems to be dragging in the deprime/size die.
Then I just wipe the case down, after priming and prior to loading powder and bullet. BIll K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

rich: I've used the stuff for years with excellent results. Per instructions that come with the dry neck lube, just dip the case mouth into the powder about 1/8" then neck size. You want to dip the case so it also gets inside the case neck to enable the expander ball to glide easily over the inside case mouth without causing undue stress to the brass.

A tin of both their Sizing Wax (for F/L sizing) and the Dry Neck Lube will last you at least five years, probably more.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

richnmib wrote:do I just dip the neck into the container and then neck size? I have never used it as I have never neck sized before. Thanks.
I also use this stuff for neck lube. The best way I found, using a caliber specific nylon brush, is dipping the brush in the lube, and then bumping the brush on the container to knock off the excess lube. I use an old shot glass to put a little of the lube in, and bump the brush on the side of the glass. I tried the method you described, and found a lot of the lube still inside the case. The method I described works best for me. I lube 2 cases and then re-dip the brush in the lube, and so on. There is no need to lube the outside of the case, unless you are full length sizing.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
richnmib

Post by richnmib »

Rick in Oregon wrote:rich: Per instructions that come with the dry neck lube.
There were no instructions included :chin: . I did get a tin of the Imperial sizing wax also and at least it says "use very sparingly"

Thanks
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=197010

Get yourself one of these. You'll never regret it.
It does come with white Mica.
Promptly chuck the Mica in the trash and substitute your graphite.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Griffy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

Post by Griffy »

Does anyone use the Imperial Application Media? Is the media an alternative to using a brush and Imperial Dry Neck Lube as suggested above. I have a very sticky 270 Win expander ball on a F/L Redding sizing die.
Thanks
Griffy
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Grif: I'd polish the expander ball first with Flitz, then try the Imperial Dry Neck Lube again. It's always worked for me, recommended by Varmint Al, and it's been good advice for all my dies since first trying it some time ago.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Griffy wrote:Does anyone use the Imperial Application Media? Is the media an alternative to using a brush and Imperial Dry Neck Lube as suggested above. I have a very sticky 270 Win expander ball on a F/L Redding sizing die.
Thanks
Griffy

I've used #8 shot before. Seemed to work fine. The brush method is better, more consistent IMO.
I'm not sure what Imperial markets as a media. I would quess its fairly close to #8 in size.

What are you using for lube on your sticky 270 now?

"IF" your using Imperial graphite with media "and" still getting a sticky ball I suggest you "go deeper" with the media/case.
Maybe use a shotglass.
The 270 has a long neck. If your just dipping a little the ball is starting its journey out the neck unlubed.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Griffy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25

Post by Griffy »

Thanks for your help. I picked up the Imperial Dry Neck Lube today and that fixed the sticky expander ball. :D Ya the 270 has a long neck. I was using the imperial wax on a neck brush with poor results. I still have to polish the expander as suggested by Rick. Thanks
Griffy
Kevin Rohrer
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B

Post by Kevin Rohrer »

I dunk the case neck in the jar a few times, then wet my fingers with Imperial Sizing Wax and wipe it on the outside of the case.

The wax gets wiped off at the end, but I don't worry about cleaning the Dry Lube out of the cases as it can't harm powder.
Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, Varmint Hunter's Assn, ARTCA, American Legion, & South Cuyahoga Sportsmen's Assn.

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!"--Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN