Loading for Accuracy Vs. Velocity

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Loading for Accuracy Vs. Velocity

Post by Wrangler John »

So we're talking about the .204 Ruger here. It's just a phenomenal cartridge. I can get the little Barnes 26 grain Varmint Grenade up to 4,110 fps and shoot .25" groups, except when a zephyr or tornado happens. That isn't maximum velocity, it's a mild load of Rl-10x. Even the big long Berger 50 grain HPBT can run around 3,300 fps - without pushing too much. You don't need maximum velocity, but the .204 Ruger seems to be one cartridge that remains accurate with plenty of speed. To think I poo-pooed the cartridge when it first came on the scene, boy - was I wrong.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Wrangler John wrote:So we're talking about the .204 Ruger here. It's just a phenomenal cartridge. I can get the little Barnes 26 grain Varmint Grenade up to 4,110 fps and shoot .25" groups, except when a zephyr or tornado happens. That isn't maximum velocity, it's a mild load of Rl-10x. Even the big long Berger 50 grain HPBT can run around 3,300 fps - without pushing too much. You don't need maximum velocity, but the .204 Ruger seems to be one cartridge that remains accurate with plenty of speed. To think I poo-pooed the cartridge when it first came on the scene, boy - was I wrong.
You weren't alone on that little boat. And there is still a shipload of people that stayed on the boat after you stepped off. :mrgreen:

I have a skeptic buddy, albeit very knowledgeable, that continues to believe that the .204 Ruger is too light, too fast, too loud and too expensive. :doh:
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The whole reason I got a 204 was for the speed. I wanted something that shot fast & flat & was looking at a Tac20 from Todd Kindler. I seen his accuracy with his velocities & soon realized that is what I was looking for. The 39gr BK's are running 3900fps & the 40gr Bergers are running 3850fps for me. I have everything I wanted in one rifle. Speed & accuracy. This round will achieve both for me. And since I'll never be a BR style shooter I'm very happy with the 3/4" 200yd groups I get.

On the other hand I don't have the 600yd shots or the little rodents to shoot either. A small groundhog for me still stands 12" tall & 8" wide. My longest shots are about 400yds. I haven't had but 2 opportunities at that range & they were both in hard quartering 15-20 mph winds.

I vote for optimum accuracy at a high velocity. :twisted:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Musta been a double tap. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Griff
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Low Profile

Post by Griff »

Again, all great information and definitely food for thought.

I guess it will come down to pure economics and time - my shooting buddy is still getting set up for re-loading so I'm hoping I can do some development over a beer or two in his shed - however as I still only shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year I might just not have the time to get the best results.

You have made a good point - accuracy is key where as trajectory can be factored in.

If I get a few loads done I'll come back with some results...

I'll also add another post if I can get a five shot group at 200 yds with factory ammo.

Thanks

Griff.