starting load? want to try 39 SBK x H335

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
mike204
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ527 VARMINT

Re: starting load? want to try 39 SBK x H335

Post by mike204 »

WOW. That's a lot of good info, guys. THANK YOU ALL for your responses.

Roughly in order of appearance:

1) Yes, I should get a case gauge. right now, I'm just using a caliper for oal brass and oal cartridge lengths. Seemed adequate, but in retrospect, gives me no information about the shoulder or rim of the cartridge.

2) Yes, I should get a case remover. Ask me why I say that. I managed to futz and hack until I got the brass out, but I also bent the spindle on the FL die, so that was stupid. Lesson learned.

3) Yes, I like the Hornady camlock design. Ask me why I say that! I bought an RCBS inertia "hammer type" puller. After a few dozen light hits with no bullet movement, I moved up to medium sized whacks. Nothing. About 10 minutes later, I was bringing it down, from overhead, in a two-handed, "Hammer of Thor" type motion. In the end, it moved the bullet about .04" before I stopped. Didn't want to break the plastic hammer. or my bench. Returned it today. hornady puller and terribly-hard-to-locate .20 collet on the way from Midway.

4) Good advice on turning the dies in. I reset both the sizer and seater dies yesterday, and the resulting shells slid through the chamber like a taco johns meat & potato burrito. Honestly, I'm a little frustrated that I never actually could see any change in procedure or adjustment here...chalk it up to inexperience I guess. Many lessons learned.

So many, in fact, that I need a couple days to cool off, and slow down. Oh, and I have to wait for some brass and that bullet puller to ship anyway :wink: :wall:

5) Thanks for the load info, Rick

You guys have been pro's about all this...I appreciate the advice without being batted around the head and neck with a newspaper for my inexperience/idiocy.

To make myself feel better, I fitted some flip-up scope caps (not as easy as it sounds, considering tight ring/bolt clearance) and free-floated the barrel channel on the CZ527 Varmint. Happy with the results...read a tip somewhere to wrap appropriate-sized sockets in sandpaper, worked like a charm.

Cheers and thanks again fellas...I'll have a few dozen more questions by this time tomorrow