IMR 8208 XBR .204 load and group

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
M_D
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

IMR 8208 XBR .204 load and group

Post by M_D »

I thought I would join the forum and share some information, as I know I appreciated finding this site and looking over information. Recently I bought a Savage model 12 thumbhole stock .204 and mounted a Leupold Mark 4 6-20. I have been working at developing a load and getting it to shoot well, as I don't have much use for guns that don't shoot well. My first loads were a middle of the road charge of 29.0 grains of BLC-2 with Nosler 32 grain ballistic tips. The first two groups (5 shots) I fired, and several of them afterwards, made two holes with the main group being from less than .2 to .3's, but the flier opened them up to .5 or even larger. The IMR 8208 XBR loads I also tried with the BLC-2 loads didn't show as much promise.

Seeing that the little gun had potential and I had 8#'s of 8208 I started messing around with it and found a load that shows good promise (photo below). Time will tell as I am going to try some more of the same load and see if it is consistent or not. I'm probably being greedy since it's a totally stock factory rifle, but I'm hoping to even improve what has been the best load so far. I think I have a good BLC-2 load found as well, I'll see eventually if it can beat the IMR 8208 or not. One other thing I'll mention about the Savage I got is the barrel fouling, I am amazed at how clean the thing stays. No copper fouling, and very minimal powder fowling. Anyway, overall I'm really happy about the 204 and it kind of makes up for the Model 93 .17 HMR I got before the 204 that is a dog, but that's a subject for another day.

(Edited to include powder charge and correct bullet make)
This was with 28.8 grains of IMR 8202 XBR, 32 grain Sierra BK (not Nosler as previously stated), Rem. full formed brass, Rem 7-1/2 primers, and the ogive length was 1.930".

Last edited by M_D on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
JeffG
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens 200 / .204

Re: IMR 8208 XBR .204 load and group

Post by JeffG »

..so I've been holding my breath for 2 hours hoping someone else might ask http://www.204ruger.com/forum/posting.p ... bf8edfc0fd# what your 8208 charge weight was... I couldn't wait any longer, same primer and brass as your BL-C (2) loads :lol: ?
M_D

Post by M_D »

Sorry Jeff, I edited the original post to give the powder weight of 28.8 grains. Although it doesn't show any sign of excessive pressure in my rifle, it is approaching what Hodgdon lists as being the 29.0 maximum for that powder. Also, the bullets were actually 32 grain Sierra BK's. I had a bunch of people distracting me when I wrote the first post.

I actually just got back from another test session. It appears the load of 28.8 grains IMR 8208 XBR and the 32 grain Sierra BK is going to shoot pretty consistently, at least in my rifle. I did use CCI BR4 primers this time, instead of the Rem 7-1/2, but it did not seem to make much difference. It was gusty this evening, but I still managed to pull of a 5 shot group of .36" or so. I just rough checked the group with the calipers so far, but its real close to .36". The chrono average has been 4164 fps so far with the IMR 8208 and 32 grain bullets through my 26" barrel. I tried some other 32 grain bullets with the IMR 8208, Hornady V-Max and Nosler boat tail's, and apparently to shoot those bullets as well I'll need to make some adjustments in the powder charge and/or seating depth. I know there is not a lot of data yet on 8208, so hopefully this will help add to it. I can get 4200-4230 fps with the 8208 in my rifle, but it doesn't shoot as well, sort of like the factory Hornady ammo seem to shoot in my brothers rifle in my opinion, about .8"-1.+" groups.

I tried some more BLC-2 loads too, but so far I haven't found the right combination. I suspect though, from what I have seen that the 32 grain Nosler with 30.5 grains (close to maximum charge) of BLC-2 will shoot well. I'm sure the other bullets will shoot well with the BLC-2 also, with the correct powder charge adjustment.
Last edited by M_D on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forums M_D!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
M_D

Post by M_D »

Thank you Glen, I appreciate the welcome! I noticed the names in your signature, do you happen to be drag racing guy, or are the name just a coincendence?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I gotta say I NEVER made that connection M_D!! That is something to think about. Those are 3 of my Friends that met an untimely & early exit from this World & have moved on to shooting things in greener pastures. They are still & always will be my Friends. And I sure miss them all. :( :( :(

I like most types of racing too. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen