Redding expander ball

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
okey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12

Redding expander ball

Post by okey »

I opened up my birthday present early. A Redding S FL and Comp Seating die. I have a few questions.

It read here that you can remove the expander ball. The only way I see to do it is to remove the decapping pin and ball. I might be missing something here. Can you remove the ball only? I won't bring up grinding down the ball again. :D

My rounds measured .227-.228 at the neck with a cheap Chinese caliper. With the most precision tool I have (bathroom scale) I measured neck tension. It takes 60lbs of pressure to move the bullet in a case that has been sized with the standard Redding FL sizer. I the S die with .226 bushing it takes 30 lbs pressure to move it. Sound about right or maybe try a .227 bushing?

Brass is Winchester and test bullets are WS2 coated Dogtowns. Thanks George.

I have to go put my present back up before my wife gets home. :cry:

Thanks
Okey
jo191145

Re: Redding expander ball

Post by jo191145 »

It should come with a small, black, knurled "decapping pin retaining nut". That replaces the expander.
If its not in the box call Redding and they'll send you one pronto.

I use a .225 mostly and test loads between .225-.224 to see if theres an improvement. Never tried a .226 but it should work fine.

Now if you indeed need to call Redding maybe you could order any extra bushings direct from them. Costs a little more but they should be willing to chuck em in the envelope with the decapping nut. Save you on shipping from a supplier. Just a thought.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
okey

Post by okey »

Thanks for the reply. Looking at Redding's site it states "A decapping pin retainer is also supplied with most Type S - Bushing Dies except 17 and 20 Cal." I will take your advice and call them today.

Thanks
Okey
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Hmnn Did'nt know that. Might explain why I did'nt get one with my dies and had to call them.
Sent me one for free and had it in two days.

If you will, ask them why they do not include the decapper nut in small bores.

okey

Post by okey »

Called Redding and they said they would put one in the mail today. :D

I asked why they didn't put them in the .17 and .204 sets. The guy on the phone told me that they were so small they were a pain to make so they only sent them on request.

Okey
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Thanks for asking Okey.
Interesting,very interesting.

larr
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by larr »

It should come with a small, black, knurled "decapping pin retaining nut". That replaces the expander.
If its not in the box call Redding and they'll send you one pronto.
can someone please explain what the extra decapping pin retaining nut is used for? is it just for decapping without sizing? :?:
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Larr,with the bushing neck die,you don't need an expander ball,but if you want to deprime while neck sizing you can,with that set up.I don't put the decaping pin in my 243 Ackley ,neck bushing die,and deprime with a universal cecaping die.Diferent strokes.
okey

Post by okey »

Decapper nut came in the mail Thursday. Good customer service from Redding.

Sized 50 cases with new nut installed. Real smooth without the decapping ball. Necks are sized halfway down with a .226 bushing. It takes 18 pounds of pressure to push a seated bullet farther into the case.

Okey