STUCK CASE

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

STUCK CASE

Post by kenbrofox »

Got a case stuck in my FL 204 die, head came off when i moved the ram down. Please tell me how to get it out.Thanks,Ken. :doh: PS. I've put it in the freezer and gone to bed, goodnite all.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: STUCK CASE

Post by Jim White »

Don't know if this helps much but I have one of those RCBS stuck case removers and it has worked well for me on the handful of occasions I've had to use it.

HTH,
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

First off, which die are you using? I had a bunch that got stuck in the RCBS dies. The reason they got stuck is because when you adjust the decapping assembly for first use it is "centered" by gravity. Which means if you are holding it off to the side, it will be secured off center and when the shell starts to enter the die it will be introduced off center and creates a ton of binding forces, Also be sure to lube the inside of the neck as well as the shoulder and and the body. As far as getting it out, I also recommend the RCBS removal kit. If you don't have one check with your local gun shop as many of them have them on hand and are usually nice enough to help you out with removing them.
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Jim,
Didn't even know that tool existed. Freezer job didn't work. Will visit gun shop today, although chances of finding said tool are pretty slim, after all this is the UK. Thanks for reply.Ken.
jd,
The dies are Lyman make [ $92 ] and have sized about 100 cases up to now without problem. I'm full length sizing because my cases have been fired in 4 different guns over 2 years and i didn't keep a record. I have previously used lee lube out of a tube but was using lyman sray this time. I did the neck insides with a cotton bud, then put the cases in a plastic bag and sprayed lube in, then shook the bag about. The dies have not been polished but the button has. The stuck case went up the die without undue pressure. I will probably be able to get a die today, although the 204 is still not popular over here, i will deffinately have to order a case remover, they won't be stock items. Thanks for your reply.Regards,Ken.
' Pay it forward buddy '
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

The only other suggestion I have for you is Imperial sizing wax. I was always sold on the RCBS lube, but once I started using Imperial, it really is the best stuff around. I've had 3 stuck cases with 204. One within the first 10 cases through the die and the others after hundreds of cases through the die. Best of luck!
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

I couldn't believe it, nearest gun shop [15 miles] had the RCBS tool in stock. That WAS a surprise, a lot of gun shops don't even have a good selection of guns on the racks. Anyway, job done. Thanks again.Ken. :D
' Pay it forward buddy '
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Glad it worked out for ya'.

Jim
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Did not see this earlier....but...

Drill a hole in the case, through the primer pocket with the appropriate tap for a 1/4" bolt (you can convert to metric sizes of tap/bolt you have on hand).

Tap the case to create threads to match the bolt you will screw into the case.

Stack of washer that fit over the outside of the case and rest of the base of the die and add two or three more flat washers. Light grease between the last two washers. Tighten the bolt against the washers...and this will pull the case out of the die.

Works rather slick.
kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

acloco,
wish you HAD seen it earlier. Why did i not think of that? A simple set up that would have saved me $30 equivilent. Thanks,Ken. PS. Still a long way to go on the reloading knowledge course. :lol:
' Pay it forward buddy '