Redding Die Failure

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Redding Die Failure

Post by Critter »

After having loaded several thousand rounds with the Redding .204 Size-Decapping die, a cartridge became misaligned and caused me to bend the decapping pin and the decapping rod just above the expander screw.

Attempting to re-straighten the rod cased the rod to fatigue and break off. This failure normally doesn't happen because the rod on larger calibers is stronger. However, the .204 rod is the smaller than normal and is sensitive to damage.

Redding has a retro for S type dies that has a carbide button, newly available in .20 caliber. I may just go that way. $36.00 retail.

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Redding Die Failure

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave: Exact same thing happened to me last year. I called Redding, told them what happened, they sent me a new assembly with the upgrade at n/c.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Likewise, for my 6mm.

HTH,
Critter

Post by Critter »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Dave: Exact same thing happened to me last year. I called Redding, told them what happened, they sent me a new assembly with the upgrade at n/c.
So I did, and I told them what happened, and they did.

Remarkable thing is the guy didn't even give me an opportunity to purchase the thing or pay for shipping or anything.

Which gave me no choice but to post here and rave about their customer service. :D

BRAVO REDDING!!! :wink:
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Critter wrote: Remarkable thing is the guy didn't even give me an opportunity to purchase the thing or pay for shipping or anything.

Which gave me no choice but to post here and rave about their customer service. :D

Critter,

I too tried to pay for mine. I told them it may have been my fault due to a worn press but they wouldn't hear of it. Couldn't do any better than that so my new single stage press is a Redding.
Critter

Post by Critter »

Jim White wrote:
Critter wrote: Remarkable thing is the guy didn't even give me an opportunity to purchase the thing or pay for shipping or anything.

Critter,

I too tried to pay for mine. I told them it may have been my fault due to a worn press but they wouldn't hear of it. Couldn't do any better than that so my new single stage press is a Redding.
Hah! :eek: Well, my single stage press is a RCBS Rock Chucker, that I've had for 35 years and haven't managed to wear out, so...

But having said that I like their dies and have quite a few sets including Bench Rest carbide bushing neck sizers for .308, .260 and 7WSM. I think they are a big part of the accuracy equation to include the Forrester Coax of which I have 2. One set up for .404 size cases and the other one for everything else.

Incidentally, using a trick learned elsewhere, I size, decap, and resize small and medium rifle cases on my Dillon 650, with case feeder. Save a lot of handling of small cases and a lot of the drudgery out of reloading medium to large quantities of cases, especially following a varmint hunt.

:D
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I have a Dillon 650 and for pistol, especially the 45 ACP, I use it for what it was designed (I use carbide dies). For the rifle, I always lube, re-size/de-capped and then tumble. Now, after all of this I have poured the cases in the case feeder, prime, charge and seat on my 650 and things have always come out right, so far...
Critter

Post by Critter »

So here it is. They sent me a new catalog as well, which I needed. Will look very carefully at die requirements.