M77 Mark II Stainless – First Reloads

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Cephus91
.204 Ruger Guns: M77 Mark II Stainless

M77 Mark II Stainless – First Reloads

Post by Cephus91 »

Howdy,
I have had my Ruger M77 Mark II Stainless All Weather for a few years now, but I am new to reloading and new to the forum. I started with a 40 gn V-Max, Hornady brass(fired factory), Varget, and CCI450 primers. Started at 26.0 grains, and worked up loads raising in .4 grain increments – 26.0, 26.4, and 26.8. Did some shooting this last weekend and here is where I ended up with my 5 shot groups:

32 gn Hornday V-Max Factory 1.30” & 1.74”
33gn HSM Factory 1.15”
Load 1 (26.0 Varget) 1.78”, 1.46”, 1.39”, & 1.72”
Load 2 (26.4 Varget) 1.23” & 1.15”
Load 3 (26.8 Varget) 1.51” & 1.55”

Going to keep going up until I hit the book max on the Varget loads, hopefully I just have not found the sweet spot yet. If I don't get any better groups with the 40 gn V-Max, what bullet should I try next? I read the favorite load posts and it seems like the 39 gn BK may be the way to go. Also, what are the best groups I can realistically expect to get out of a standard Mark II? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: M77 Mark II Stainless – First Reloads

Post by Rick in Oregon »

First off, welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here to share the fun and knowledge.

Most 204's, no matter the brand will shoot better than what you're getting now with good handloads. Has the rifle been tweaked at all? Barrel floated, action properly glass and/or pillar bedded, trigger tweaked or replaced? Are you shooting off a front rest, sandbags, bipod? Not going into optics, tell us about the rifle and what has or hasn't been done from factory configuration. Was the barrel broken in? Lots of questions.

You are correct though, that most 204's with factory 12 twist barrels do indeed like the 39 SBK.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

I also have a M77 MKII but mine is the target model. Your groups sound pretty similar to mine though. What I found out (regardless of bullet or powder) was that my rifle liked lighter powder loads. So I have been loading them around min or slightly under min. Consistently gives groups under 1/2". I am going to keep going lower until I see some inconsistency. The only drawback is that you will be loosing velocity. But, would you rather have an extra 600fps or would you rather have a consistent shooter? Just an FYI, not sayin that your's will be the same way, but give it a shot! I could have saved a lot of time and money if I had figured that out earlier. Any questions, let me know! Right now I'm using the 39SBK's and Varget.
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Cephus91

Post by Cephus91 »

The gun is pretty much all factory. I bought it used from a guy who does a lot of shooting and reloading and I was told it was properly broken in. No barrel work at all. I did take the gun to a gunsmith to get the trigger "worked" and set at 3 lbs. However, it has since developed a considerable amount of creep and sloppyness.

I am not inclined to spend a bunch of money on this gun with bedding, etc. because I have aspirations of getting a new .204 with a heavier barrel, perhaps a savage. May spring for a trigger on the M77, but that is about it. Once i get the new one I will probably just use the ruger for a truck gun. I wanted to go ahead and work up loads for the M77 just so I can learn how to reload.

I was shooting from a lead sled from my shooting bench - is there a better type of rest to use? Have a caldwell shooting bag as well (the big one, not the small one with rabbit ears). The scope is a standard leupold 3x9 vIII.
Cephus91

Post by Cephus91 »

jdefranc938 wrote:I also have a M77 MKII but mine is the target model. Your groups sound pretty similar to mine though. What I found out (regardless of bullet or powder) was that my rifle liked lighter powder loads. So I have been loading them around min or slightly under min. Consistently gives groups under 1/2". I am going to keep going lower until I see some inconsistency. The only drawback is that you will be loosing velocity. But, would you rather have an extra 600fps or would you rather have a consistent shooter? Just an FYI, not sayin that your's will be the same way, but give it a shot! I could have saved a lot of time and money if I had figured that out earlier. Any questions, let me know! Right now I'm using the 39SBK's and Varget.
Would not have thought of that - have you reloaded any 40 gn V-Max?
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

no, i've only done 40 grain nosler BT's and 39SBK. I bought some 32SBK but haven't touched em yet. The 39SBK's showed a world of difference over the 40 Noslers. If you go under min do it in increments. Start at .5 over min, min, and then do .3 grain decrements. Like I said, yours may be different but there is only one way to find out! As far as the bags and the rest... the best one is one that doesn't move and takes all of the error out of the shooter. It doesn't matter if u use a lead sled or plain old bags, all that matters is that the rifle is not moving! I use my grandfathers sand bags (real sand) from the 1970's. I do just fine with those. My personal opinion is the more mechanical it is, and the more complex it is, the more chance for error you will get. Keep us posted!
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have three of the Rugers in 204. The Ultra light, the standard and the V/T. The Ultra light and the standard will both shoot as well as the heavy barrel rifle. I have acheaved good groups with several defferent powders. I've only used three defferent bullets. My standard would not shoot the 32gr Vmax bullets untill I Glass bedded the action which is a simple job to do on your own. It shot the 40gr V max's in to the same hole. I did change the trigger over to a Timney about as soon as I could. The trigger is about $100 dollars with shipping and can be installed easily. A drimill will really help. you need to take a little metal off which they mark for you on an anvil where the safety slides on to and grind a slight little bit of stock away to fit the action back into the stock for the trigger. The 20 cal can be a little fincky to get right when reloading. Start with a clean barrel and clean about every 30rds or so while working up your loads. I use inexpensive scopes on my rifles but powerful ones If you can mount a 16 power up to 24 power scope on your rifle to work on your groups it will help. It can make a big difference on your groups in the way you torque your action screws on a Ruger rifle start with the one up front tighten snug then snug the one in the rear then the one in the middle go easy on. Goups can get better with deffernt rest find the one that fits you and relax and consentrat even a bad trigger can be over come with consigntration. some days I just have to give up and come back. To much coffee can ruin a shooting seccion. When trying to get a good group. Is it the load? The rest? The action? The Trigger? The Barrel? Some days it just me. When it comes together its great. I am sure your Ruger can turn out the groups if not contact me I might be in the market. The Hornady brass has got me some of my tightest groups. The 40gr Vmax bullets are a good bullet to work with. I would play with the action screws for right now. TAC powder by Ramshot has been good for me also the IMR 4198 and 4895 Ramshot Xterminator was good.Image
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

My remington VSF HATES ALL hornady bullets.....PERIOD!! Primary bullet of choice is the 39 grain blitzking, followed by the 35 grain berger and as of today.....the 26 grain barnes varmint grenade. All I can suggest is to keep playing around and you will find something the gun likes. My remy shot factory ammo equaly welllllHAHA!! It was terrible!! Might give benchmark, RL-10X, H4895 or BL-C2 a try. These appear to be the hot ticket in the 204. I have also got stellar results with RL-15 as well! Welcome to the forum and have TONS of fun with that 204!!!
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
Cephus91

Post by Cephus91 »

I am going to keep working through the loads, and then try the 39 BK. Hopefully I can bring the groups in tighter. Hope to go shoot again soon.
Cephus91

Post by Cephus91 »

Shot some this weekend - making some progress - same Hornady brass, 40 gn v-max, and CCI 450 as above. 5 shot groups

Load 4 (27.2 Varget) 1.343"
Load 5 (27.6 Varget) .825” & 1.650”
Load 6 (25.6 Varget) 1.380" & 1.282"
Load 7 (25.2 Varget) .536” & 1.252”

Going to keep creeping down on the loads, looks like my gun likes the lower loads.
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

My VSF is the exact opposite of your ruger.....it does not start shooting well until I am 7 - 8/10 of a grain near max, that is where the samll groups start happening. And with RL-10X I have several wicked loads that are over max with no signs of pressure in the gun. Varget might be a tick on the slow side for the 204. I tried it in a previous rifle I owned with little sucess. Take a nickel's worth of free advise and try one of the above mentioned powders and I am sure your ruger will come around nicely! I load in 2/10 of a grain increments and when I get down to the last couple of tenth's....1/10 grain at a time, as well when going over max. Thre have been many surprises with my gun once I realized how long the throat was in the gun. If I could live shooting it single shot....I could make my cartridges 2.450" AOL but I HATE single shots! The hunting load I have used to great effect this winter is 25.5 grains of benchmark with the 39 grain blitzking. Not a tack driving load but it averages just under a half inch for 5 shots all day long and this combo has proven deadly from 50 to almost 500 yards this winter! Many jackrabbits and several yotes' have met thier end to this load, including 1 rather impressive head shot jackrabbit at just under 400 yards! I have tried them all and now the only powders I keep WELL stocked are RL-10X and benchmark for my 204. Do some experimenting and have some fun with that 204!!
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
Cephus91

Post by Cephus91 »

Despite my previous statements (above) I just dropped my M77 off at the gunsmith to get glass bedded, floated, and trigger work done. I also just orderd a box of 39 gn SBK and 26 gn Varmit Grenades. Looking forward to loading both of those. I think I am officially addicted.
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

Ya, that little 204 will do that to you! See many people flock to hornady bullets likely because they are cheaper but in my gun saving money = CRAPPY groups! Bullet selection is also now very limited in my house: 26 grain VG, 35 grain berger, 39 grain SBK and the 40 grain berger. Tried them all, going to stick with these till' the barrel is done!
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Keep punchin', Ceph! I've got close to 900 rounds through the tube, and have learned a lot along the way, many thanks to the generous folks on this forum!

So far my best results with my Savage 12 VLP are with Nosler brass, 32 gr VMax's, 26 gr Benchmark.

We are under a lot of snow right now, so I have the rifle apart, prepped for a home bedding job.