Redding Die FL sizing?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Redding Die FL sizing?

Post by jdefranc938 »

Hey guys,

I had an RCBS die but it apparently wasn't put together correctly from the factory and the spindle was cross-threaded onto the shaft. :mad: The splindle then literally exploded. This is what I determined to be my whole issue from all the other posts I put up before. Anyway, I bought a brand new Redding FL sizing die and have been reloading with that for the past few weeks. Here is where my new questions come from:

1. Is it possible that the die can oversize the brass? The reason I ask this is because If I resize brand new Win brass and then fire it and then attempt to resize it, it is nearly impossible to run it through the press even when it's lubed. However, they load into the rifle chamber beautifully, no friction/resistance at all! When I screwed the die into the press, I had it touch the shell holder and then turned an extra 1/8 - 1/4 turn and the decapping pin sits about 3/16" below the base of the die.

2. I had a bunch of prass prepped (sized, flash hole deburred, and pockets uniformed) with the RCBS die that is no longer in use. If I run that same unfired brass through the Redding die and then fire it, i get different groups than if I just used completely brand new brass that never saw the RCBS die. So I guess my question here is, would having run that brass through the RCBS die previously be enough to screw it up regardless if I ran it through the Redding before loading it? (I just hate the thought of wasting ~200 pcs of brass that are all prepped! :wall: )

As long as the weather cooperates, I'm going out to my range tomorrow to shoot the same types of loads again to see if my findings from today are consistent.

Thanks for any input and advice!
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
jo191145

Re: Redding Die FL sizing?

Post by jo191145 »

jdefranc938 wrote:Hey guys,

I had an RCBS die but it apparently wasn't put together correctly from the factory and the spindle was cross-threaded onto the shaft. :mad: The splindle then literally exploded. This is what I determined to be my whole issue from all the other posts I put up before. Anyway, I bought a brand new Redding FL sizing die and have been reloading with that for the past few weeks. Here is where my new questions come from:

1. Is it possible that the die can oversize the brass? The reason I ask this is because If I resize brand new Win brass and then fire it and then attempt to resize it, it is nearly impossible to run it through the press even when it's lubed. However, they load into the rifle chamber beautifully, no friction/resistance at all! When I screwed the die into the press, I had it touch the shell holder and then turned an extra 1/8 - 1/4 turn and the decapping pin sits about 3/16" below the base of the die.

Those are the directions that come with most FL dies. To be absolutely blunt they are absolutely WRONG. These generic, one size fits all directions are IMHO the reason FL sizing has gotten such a bad rep over the years. Any FL die needs to be set .001-.002 shorter than the actual headspace of the rifle chamber they're to be fired in. The only exception to that rule is autoloaders. So to answer your first question, YES FL dies can oversize brass. In some rare cases causing dangerous conditions, see "Incipient Case Head Seperation". You need to read a good reloading manual on headspacing, fully understand it then proceed. If thats not possible shoot me a PM and I'll walk you through it. Proper headspace is THE most important lesson handloaders need to learn.
A little more info needed.
My questions to you. What are you using for case lube? Did you disassemble the die and clean out the packing grease prior to use?
Bolt action, auto or other?

By the way, If I my post sounds a little cranky its not aimed at you. You followed directions. Its the directions that get me cranky ;)

2. I had a bunch of prass prepped (sized, flash hole deburred, and pockets uniformed) with the RCBS die that is no longer in use. If I run that same unfired brass through the Redding die and then fire it, i get different groups than if I just used completely brand new brass that never saw the RCBS die. So I guess my question here is, would having run that brass through the RCBS die previously be enough to screw it up regardless if I ran it through the Redding before loading it? (I just hate the thought of wasting ~200 pcs of brass that are all prepped! :wall: )

Between virgin brass straight out of the bag and brass thats been run through any die but still unfired its a given you'll see differences in the groups. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Depends on what that particular load likes. Your brass is not ruined, not yet anyway. Brings us right back to the head space issue. Repeated firing with a FL die set "to bump the shoulders" EXCESSIVELY will destroy your brass in short order.

As long as the weather cooperates, I'm going out to my range tomorrow to shoot the same types of loads again to see if my findings from today are consistent.

Thanks for any input and advice!

Hmmnnn :chin: Go ahead and shoot that brass tomorrow. It needs to be fireformed back to your chamber dimensions anyway. It might be wise to seperate any sized brass from unsized brass until you get to the bottom of this question. If (and thats still a big if) your die is drastically pushing back the headspace of your once fired brass it'd be smart to keep them seperated for now.
Brass is always undersized out of the bag so it'll fit in any chamber made. Its in its softest state for that initial first firing and stretches to fill your chamber. It will not tolerate being excessively squished down in length numerous times and restretched because brass hardens with movement.

FL sizing done properly should'nt require much force on your press. If it does on a small case like the 204R theres a problem that needs to be corrected.
Could be inferior or improper lube. Quite often it is. Headspacing is crucial though. Thats where the big problems start.
I FL size my cases after every firing. Done properly I've seen no difference in case life.
Congratulations on choosing Redding. Manufactures directions aside they are the BEST

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

Well, I have the good ole RCBS case lube and i have the Hornady One shot spray stuff (haven't used it yet though). I did disassemble the die and remove all the packing grease. If you could walk me through the headspace determination, that would be great!
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

OK, Just remember you asked for it ;) :lol:

Imperial Sizing Wax is the lube all others are judged by. Most others do not measure up all that well.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

Interesting post, what is the best way then to control headspace then?
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

I agree!! Imperial sizing wax is the BEST!!!
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

You control headspace with a FL die by backing it out a turn or so then sizing a fired case. Try closing the bolt on the case, gently. If it won't close then screw the die in a quarter turn and resize, try it in the chamber again and screw the die down another quarter turn, repeat until the bolt just closes with a bit of "feel" then tighten the lock ring against the press.

Method two - really for wildcatters or case conversions, is to expand the neck up to the next caliber, then neck it back down in the FL die a little at a time as above until the bolt just closes.

Assuming that your die was properly cleaned, try smearing a little RCBS lube on your thumb and forefinger then rub in on the case. You may not be getting enough lube on the cases if you are using a lube pad. If that does it, then your problem is solved. If not, your difficult resizing problem could be an oversized chamber. Is there a big bulge in front of the case head on a fired case, say larger than .375"?
FireBallGuy

Post by FireBallGuy »

Excellent info! I shall give it a try!