Lee Factory Crimp Die

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
jakeb
.204 Ruger Guns: LMT MRP 20" Stainless Barrel

Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by jakeb »

I'm thinking about having Lee make me a Factory Crimp Die for .204 Ruger.

I'm mostly shooting in an AR-15.

Anyone else want one?
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by BabaOriley »

I've thought about trying the Factory Crimp Die. Have to pay careful attention to trimming using one, in that every case needs to be exactly the same length for it to be consistent. I think I get plenty of neck tension without crimping to hold the bullet in place through an AR-15, but couldn;t hurt to load up a few to see if Lee's accuracy claims are true or not. Let us know how it goes for you.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

The Lee factory crimp die is basically a military crimp die. It'll give you four longitudinal crimps around the neck just like some military style ammo. It'll hold a pill in the case like its welded there. it'll also chew up the necks of your brass pretty quick. Military ammo is designed to be shot once and left in the mud. Anyone looking for better than plinking accuracy and decent reloadable brass life would be better off trying something else.

Baba A roll crimp requires exact trim lengths. It can be done without a cannelured bullet but only with brass thats exactingly trimmed. Been there done that. Definately not worth the trouble.

Bushing dies and cleaning all carbon out of the necks should be the best way to go with an autoloader.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
jakeb
.204 Ruger Guns: LMT MRP 20" Stainless Barrel

Post by jakeb »

Just an update...

I had Lee make me a FCD for the .204. It's GREAT!

The reasoning behind getting a FCD was that my primary .204 Ruger rifle is a Lewis Machine and Tool MRP AR15 style rifle with a 20" 1/12 stainless barrel.

So far I've been reloading with the following combos with excellent results:

Winchester Brass
Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers
24.5, 24.8, and 25 grains of IMR 3031
26.5 and 26.9 grains of IMR 8208 XBR
Hornady 40gr V-MAX bullets
Crimp - Light/Light Medium crimp
C.O.L. is 2.249"

Getting excellent groups from all loads out to 200 yards.

The 8208 XBR powder is going to be my primary load out going forward...I'm just trying to burn up the last of my 3031.

- Jake