Results of 204, added input.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Paul
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ MGM barrel

Results of 204, added input.

Post by Paul »

Warning some loads are over max and do not recommend these loads

One more thing this barrel has not been cleaned in over 170 round except a dry patch because of the coating on the bullet.

Wife interrupted my post to go do honey doooooos, so had to add my input at later time.

Some signs of high pressure at 28.2. My Encore needed a little help to open, primers where not as flat as some in the past but were cratered. The 28.4 my Encore needed a little more help to open and same as above.

The Wolf primers is what supprised me, on the load of 27.8 three of the five primers were very flat but not crated. I could tell when I shot these loads my rifle shot different and this occured only at this load and did not at the 28.00 load. I measure each load when dropped so I cannot explan the difference in pressure.

I'm also supprised with the group at 275 yds (except the first, then take out flyer), that they measured almost the same as the 100 yders.
Paul

Re: Results of 204, added input.

Post by Paul »

Had the bore checked today with bore scope. Only 1 spec of copper and the rest of the barrel is copper free.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Paul,

I've heard good things about Wolf SR "Magnum" primers, can't say the same about the STD small rifle primer (never actually tried them myself).

As far as your group size, are they round, square, stringing. For me I've come to recording the actual group size both horizontal & verticle (I also save the targets) making it easier to reference back too later.

Interesting to hear about the copper, I've thought about moly coating the 204's just because of that.

Jim
Paul

Post by Paul »

Jim, I have used wolf with IMR 4895 w/ 35 berger with great results. Only two of the groups were stringed (vertical) which is all me. The other groups are circle shape or clovered. Great idea and something to learn to measure both vertical and horizontal. Will take that into consideration.

The coating on the bullets is not like moly or WS2 in that it does not absorb or attract moister.