RL-15 in the 204 Ruger

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: RL-15 in the 204 Ruger

Post by Jim White »

Steve,

Sorry about the delayed response, I just returned from a fishing trip over in the Snake River, gorgeous contry over there. Mine is the 21" (or 22") model with the thin barrel and it's a real hammer.

I'm guessing its slower because of the barrel length "and" the elevation I'm at, which is only 440' above sea level. FWIW, my 26" Remington 204 is on the slow side based on the numbers I see here but only just a tad. Also, I've made up an Excel Spread sheet for all of my rifles in column form and althought the CZ runs about 150-to 175 fps slower, the effect down range is minimal. The both go under the sound barrier at about the same distance. Also, a good friend (and shooting, fishing & hunting buddy) exhibits the same thing.

I really like the CZ American but there are three things I'm not crazy about;

1; The safety operates completly in reverse of my other bolt actions (Remington, Ruger and Weatherby) (push FWD to FIRE, pull back to SAFE). The CZ is push FWD to SAFE and pull back to FIRE).

2; When fed from the magazine it's not nearly as smooth as my other rifles which are all repeaters.

3; Mine was neither bedded or free floated but, once completed she became a hammer.

All-in-all, definitely a keeper.

HTH,
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

One other item. The CZ-527 has a tall bolt throw (hope I'm saying that right) that requires very high mounts to clear the scope. Much higher than is actuall required because of either the scope or stock. If you get the "CZ American" they come with rings whereas the "CZ Varmint" does not.

HTH
richness
.204 Ruger Guns: RPA Quadlite. Pacnor 3G. DM80. Timney. Macmillan. IOR 4-28

Post by richness »

I use RL15 in my 204 (howa action/ 23" Border Archer 1-10.5" barrel/ DM80/Timney) and it is the most accurate powder, slightly edging Benchmark (i've used H322/RL10x,Benchmark, Varget)
I use 28.2gr RL15, 39SBK @ 1.890" to the ogive (40th jump) BR4 primers. Nolser custom brass (fully prepped). FYI this is filling the case just how i like it - to the middle of the neck, so the bullet head just nips it all tight.
This does under 1.5" @ 400y
Drops are consistent with 3500fps, which is excllent for my 23" IMO
Buying a chrony this week so it will be interesting to see exactky what i'm getting.
RL15 should definitely be on people's "to try" list of powders for 204R IMHO
Richard Utting :)