Winchester .204 Case Volume Low?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
gps
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Ultra Varmint Fluted .204

Winchester .204 Case Volume Low?

Post by gps »

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum and I've been researching the issue for a few days so if it's been posted here before please accept my apologies and send me the link!

I'm new to reloading and have had difficulty finding powders and bullets as well as data to match but did come across some H4895 that fits all my applications (including the .204) so I bought some to get started. Also found some 32gr HDY VMAX bullets and Hodgdon data so everything looked good. I'm using new Winchester cases which I ran through the resizer anyway because some of the necks had little dings in them. I wanted to make sure they were perfect.

Heres' Hodgdon's data:
32 GR. HDY V-MAX  H4895  .204"  2.250"  27.0  3669  40,500 PSI  29.0C  3980  51,100 PSI 

The recommended starting point is 27.0gr and the max is a compressed 29.0gr charge. I read this article (http://www.reloadbench.com/gloss/compress.html) on compressed charges and it says that a charge is acceptably compressed so long as the bullet still seats to proper depth (2.250") and does not creep forward over a period of 24hrs. In my case, all loads are at the same seating depth that they were 2 days ago when I loaded them. None have been fired yet.

I have loaded groups of 27.0gr, 27.3, 27.6, 27.9, 28.2 and 28.5 but nothing past that. You see, 28.5 fills the case to the brim. This makes me worry that my Lee powder measure is not functioning properly, or that the Winchester cases simply don't hold as much as others might?

I am not heck bent on getting the maximum load in the case, I'm just concerned that I've overlooked something. If Hodgdon says that 29.0 grains is the acceptable limit, but I can't fit that much in my case, something is out of whack.

Any insight you have would be appreciated!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Winchester .204 Case Volume Low?

Post by acloco »

Place one of your 32 gr bullets on your scale and see what it weighs.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

Some powders fill more volume. Not sure about H4895 weight vs volume. A compressed load is a personal choice. The books are guides and you should work up your own load. I would suggest looking at other books to compare the data. Which load give you the best group? You could try other powders if you wanted to.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

gps wrote:Heres' Hodgdon's data:
32 GR. HDY V-MAX H4895 .204" 2.250" 27.0 3669 40,500 PSI 29.0C 3980 51,100 PSI
just checked my hodgdon manual for this powder, and you are correct. below is the load recommendations in the hornady manual for the 32 gr. bullets with h4895 powder: starting load is 25.9 grs. the max load listed is 28.4 grs. of h4895.

i have tested loads for my 204 using h4895, using R-P brass and had the same experience as yourself. and i have done test loads for my 223 using h4895, going by a couple different manuals recommendations. the overfill capacity is the same with the 223 using h4895. personally i am not into a compressed load. i dont like hearing the crunching of powder when i seat the bullets. i did the same measuring tests over a 24hr period as yourself. measurements were the same after 24 hrs. but i was uncomfortable with the thought of what could happen!

i would suggest a different powder, such as benchmark or re10x. i have just purchased 8 lbs of benchmark and 5 lbs of RE10x. reliant powder has been a lot easier to find than hodgedon powders, but they are out there.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Or...use a powder funnel drop (tube extension) when dropping your powder in your cases.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I second what acloco suggests about using a drop tube to get a bit more powder into your casings. I have been able to get 29.6 gr. of H4895 into my Hornady casings via a drop tube and the bullets don't touch the powder. I can also get that much powder in my WW casings as well.

Here's a photo of the convoluted double-funnel drop tube contraption I used to get 29.6 gr. of H4895 into a Hornady .204 Ruger casing.

I am certainly hoping you aren't just trying to find the hottest load you can without accuracy in mind. You'll probably find your .204 Ruger will shoot very accurately without using the maximum load listed in the Hodgdon data charts. Your barrel will last a lot longer that way too.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

gps: My mates above are spot-on as usual. If you look in various reloading manuals, you'll find "most accurate load tested" for most calibers. You will note that these 'most accurate loads' are usually a substantial degree under maximum for that bullet weight.

Over the years sniping varmints in the field, I've found that I'll gladly trade a bit of velocity for improved accuracy any day. It makes no sense at all to have a zippy varmint load traveling at 4,000+ fps if it shoots into 4" at 100 yards. I'll take the more sedate 3,500 fps load that shoots into .4" every time. ;)

Like my buddy futuretrades, I also stay away from compressed loads. I've seen bullets pushed back out of the case .100" from sitting overnight with highly compressed loads of H4831 in a .270Win. There is usually a better suited powder that will give you what you're after without resorting to compressed loads in any caliber.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

GPS, As stated, the drop tube will help considerably in getting a little more powder in the case..... I've found that by slowly pouring it down one side of the drop tube will allow even more to settle in....

I don't remember which powder I was using at the time, but my first impression was the same as yours....

I've since switched over to some 'ball' powders that meter much better and require a lot less labor to load (Getting lazy in my old age)...
AR
Factory/Factory
gps
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Ultra Varmint Fluted .204

Post by gps »

Thanks everyone for your input!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

gps

Win brass is usually formed a little smaller than most other brands from the factory. After you fire it once in your chamber you should find a lot more volumne.
Use caution with new brass. Most folks say the volumne of the case matters little as it rapidly expands to fill the chamber. Not true in my expierience. These small cases can create much higher pressures than normal.
Once they've been fired and sized CORRECTLY you can begin load development in earnest.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .