.204 case holder question

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

.204 case holder question

Post by bow shot »

'Anyone know which Wilson Case holder(s) is for .204?

I know this seems like a "duh" question... but please follow me on this....

1) I have a CH4D Trimmer. CH's case holder for .204 (designated "U") is for several rounds (.222 rem mag, .222, .223 .204, maybe something else).

2) I know that Wilson case holders work on the CH4D.

3) When I look at the chart for Wilson holders on their web site, almost all of the rifle cartriges on their chart take one holder, designated "F".... but when I see them for sale (eBay, Midway) it looks like each cartrige has it's own special holder, and it is not applicable to other rounds.

4) I'm trying to buy cheap, because I'm on partial layoff, and can't "just call them and tell them to send you the right". And I don't have the nerve to ask either Wilson or CH for that info.

So I'm hoping to find a Wilson holder on eBay, gunbroker, where ever... but I need the right intelligence. For example: If I saw a CH holder for .222 rem mag, or .223, cheap (VERY unlikely), I know that I can use it for my .204. But if I see a Wilson holder for those cals (likely) I can't buy it with confidence that I havent poured precious cahs down a rat hole.
Keith in Ga

Re: .204 case holder question

Post by Keith in Ga »

bow shot, on my Wilson case holder this is what's listed:

204 Ruger

20 Tactical

This is the only designation, other than their logo that's on the case holder.
Hope this helps.
ImageImage
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Yup, I think its going that way. I'll look at Midway's page again and see if they show the same part number for 20 tactical and 204 Ruger.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I believe Wilson makes a case holder especially for virgin .204 Ruger brass and one for fired .204 Ruger brass.

When the .204 Ruger caliber first came out in 2004, there was no Wilson case holder specifically labeled ".204 Ruger". I ordered a .222 Remington Mag Wilson case holder and have been using that with both virgin and fired .204 Ruger casings.

My .17 Tactical brass, which has been formed from .20 Tactical Lapua brass, fits just fine in my 222 & 223 combination Wilson case holder. This same case holder also works just fine for my .17 Remington brass, both virgin and fired. New WW .204 Ruger brass fits this same case holder, but the fired and NOT YET FULL LENGTH RESIZED .204 Ruger brass does not go far enough into the 222 & 223 case holder and the neck does not stick out of the other end. Thus, it cannot be trimmed using the 222 & 223 case holder.

New Nosler brass works fine in the 222 & 223 case holder and almost (but not quite) goes in too far in the .223 Rem Mag holder.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Perfect. Thanks very kindly, that's exactly the information that I'm looking for!
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

...and I went ahead and bought a Wilson .204 holder. $8 for the holder, and another $8 to ship it slow UPS boat.