.20 cal flashhole deburring tool??

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
K_Hini

.20 cal flashhole deburring tool??

Post by K_Hini »

where does everyone get them? I looked at the local stores and can't find them. Does rcbs not make them?

Is this something that I need to order off internet? I would rather not but will if it is the only place to get them.

thanks
kyle
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: .20 cal flashhole deburring tool??

Post by Silverfox »

Kyle--I did a quick google search and didn't find a .204 caliber flash hole deburring tool either. I'm about 1,200 miles from my reloading bench right now, so I can't go down there and check, but I kniw I have a .20 caliber flash hole deburring tool and a .172 caliber flash hole deburring tool, but they are from Sinclair International.

If you haven't found one by the time I get back home early next week, I'll try to remember to look at the handle and see if there is a part number on it, but in the meantime, here is a link to Sinclair's Web page: http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_detail ... ring-Tools
Last edited by Silverfox on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

Kyle,

Im getting ready to order mine as well. Look at Sinclair, they in my opinion have the best. A buddy of mine who shoots competition and veteran reloader told me not to waste my money on anything but Sinclair deburring tools. He said the cutters will stay sharp and last a lifetime. I used his in SD while prairie dog hunting and love it. Good luck.

Tyler
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Some info in this thread.
cngerms
.204 Ruger Guns: Privacy requested

Post by cngerms »

I bought this tool and you must buy the .20 cal pilot, too.

tool> http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/547 ... ring-Tools

pilot> http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/6243/s

Pricey, but very high quality and I'm very happy with it.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

When it comes to flash hole deburring tools, only two are worth a hoot, as neither of them are dependent on case length. They are the K&M tool, and the new Sinclair tool that does not depend on case length. Sinclair also offers another, earlier model that DOES depend on case length, so if you order, be sure to specify which one you want.

The K&M tool is available at Russ Haydon's Shooting Supply in Gig Harbor, WA.

http://www.shooters-supply.com/
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Just buy an RCBS brand...they have smaller shanks than the Lyman.

Believe mine is actually for a 30/06.
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

I bought the K&M tool it worked pretty slick. There was no depth stop or anything. real easy and quick.

I sure wouldn't want to do a lot of cases at one time though!! My hands were a little sore after 100. Good thing you only have to do this to the cases once!!

thanks for the help everyone!!
kyle
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Silverfox, thanks for that link, just been on and ordered one ( 17/20 ) in one tool. Didn't think i had to order pilots seperately, hope it's ok ......$70 shipped to UK.
Rick, i jumped the gun....... Didn't know there were two different types, ah well, still learning. :doh:
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rat Force One

Post by Rat Force One »

I like to use mine with a power drill and a glove one the other hand. It saves a lot of wear and tear on the hands. I had to do it by hand while I was learing when the battery died. Yikes! never again. The wire nut is kind of a joke eh?
nothing beats red mist in the morning
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

As RF1 sez, use a power screwdriver and glove for the K&M and take off the silly "handle", as it's about useless on an excellent tool. If you plan to use hand power, a RCBS plastic screwdriver handle will fit the K&M tool and work quite well.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Last night I used my K&M uniformer to do 1000 new Winchester cases. Both hands are pretty sore today, but I don't plan on having to do it again. It took me about 6 hours taking a few breaks, watching TV etc...

Figured you guys might appreciate my documenting the operation (not all 6 hours), so here ya go:
Here's the K&M tool:
The whole thing fits perfectly in the .20 case mouth, and the chamfer tool goes through the flash hole.

Video.

I only had one single case in the whole batch of 1000 that I won't be able to load.

Cookin' up some .204!

Took advantage of the oppurtunity for some possible desktop wallpaper shots too. I tried them and can't read text on this background, but maybe someone will like them:
1920x1080-204-Ruger-Brass.jpg
1920x1080DARK-204-Ruger-Brass.jpg
1680x1050-204-Ruger-Brass.jpg
1280x1024-204-Ruger-Brass.jpg

A note on this brass:
The last batch of this same Winchester brass I prepped had much more deformed flash holes. Many, maybe 5% with fairly large burrs in the flash hole, making some diffcult to even twist out by hand. This batch was much more precisely made. After the first 100 I questioned whether this uniforming was even necessary. I figured it can only hurt my fingers, so I finished them. I am going to try NOT prepping the primer pockets on this batch. I believe the prepping I did to the primer pockets on the last 1000 did more harm than good, because I may not have been able to get all of them to the same depth every time. Cutting the bottom corners out of primer pockets, I found to be nearly impossiible by hand, because you need to hold onto the case so tightly or it will just spin when the cutter grabs. If someone has a better way to do primer pockets, on new brass, and cleaning them out on once fired, I'd be interested to hear how you do it.
JD11
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter low profile

Post by JD11 »

RCBS makes one for a 204, I probably got mine from Midway, can't remember.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The best way to uniform the primer pockets I've found is with the Forester bench-mounted hand crank. Very stable, no sore fingers, no power to dink with (although it works well), and the process goes very quickly. It is also a good idea to use this system for fired brass too, as it cleans out the carbon as can be seen in the brass shavings, and returns the primer pocket to spec dimensions every time you load the case.

The cutter is dual-ended, having a small and large carbide cutter at each end. Mine has done literally thousands of cases, still going strong after many years.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA