Any one use Redding Type S Match Bushing dies

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
jwisecarver
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Encore

Any one use Redding Type S Match Bushing dies

Post by jwisecarver »

Any one use Redding Type S Match Bushing dies am considering purchasing a set, sure would appreciate input.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Any one use Redding Type S Match Bushing dies

Post by Wrangler John »

Yes, but not for the .204 Ruger. I use the standard Redding full length set with a separate neck size die for this cartridge. I built my rifle up on a Savage Target action using a Shilen Select Match barrel, chambered with a standard SAAMI reamer. For a standard chamber the regular die sets work fine, in fact the full length sizer produces tighter groups than those that are neck sized. This rifle shoots .246" groups at 100 yards with 26 grain Varmint Grenade bullets and the bullets seated to factory OAL.

The bushing dies I reserve for rifles chambered with non-standard chambers, such as the 6mm PPC with a .262" diameter neck, where turned brass can be adjusted for neck tension with various bushings. Same with other rifles set up with specific neck diameters that match turned brass, or to compensate for brass that needs turning due to manufacturing variance. The .204 Ruger brass I have been purchasing from Hornady and Winchester does not benefit from neck turning, so the standard FL die is good. I have also not found any accuracy advantage to removing the expander ball as one would do with a bushing type die for this cartridge chambered with a SAAMI reamer. In fact even with turned brass, the expander ball acts as a gauge, if the case neck is being expanded when withdrawn, then the die is sizing sufficiently.

In the majority of cartridges I load for, the plain old full length sizing die sets work fine. What I have found useful is the competition seating die with the micrometer adjustment - available as an individual die.

My advice is to save your money.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

I bought a Redding Type S Neck sizing die for my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger and used that until I got ahold of a good used Russ Haydon arbor press and some Wilson neck sizing dies. Now, my .224" Redding TiN sizing neck sizing bushing is in my Wilson die and the .225" Redding TiN bushing is in the Type S neck sizing die and being used WITHOUT the expander ball. Both dies bring the neck diameter down to pretty much the exact same size.

For the Wilson neck dies, I go through an extra step in that I decap the casings with a CH universal decapping die BEFORE I think about putting the casing in my Wilson die. I also lightly debur the inside of the flash hole, use my K&M primer pocket uniformer to clean out and primer residue from the primer pocket and then I run the casing into the Wilson neck sizing die. The reason I go through those extra steps is to make sure I don' get any residue from inside the casing falling down inside my Wilson neck sizing die.

The Redding Type S neck sizing die is a lot faster operation since it is a one-step operation for the decapping and neck sizing. I still do use my primer pocket uniformer to clean out residue out of the primer pocket and also lightly debur the inside of the flash hold.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
bigun
.204 Ruger Guns: vssf .204 remmington

Post by bigun »

i have and use one for my .204 ..i just whish i had others for my other rifles ..if you neck turn you need one that you can bush ...money well spent ;)