Carbon Ring in barrel

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Carbon Ring in barrel

Post by giterdone »

Not to long ago I read that a carbon ring can develop in a barrel from using RL-10X. I have read that some shooters have found this powder (RL-10X) to burn somewhat dirty in some barrels. Is this the powder mentioned, that causes this carbon ring to develop? I understand that if you catch it early (carbon ring) it is not that difficult to keep ahead of it by normal cleaning. But if you dont, then it can be a bear to remove. I tried to find the article/post on this but could not locate it. H4895 and RL-10X are the two powders that shine in my .204 and they both seem to leave the same amount of fouling.:wall:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Carbon Ring in barrel

Post by acloco »

Happens with most, if not all powders....IMHO.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Yep, just about every powder results in carbon fouling - just the way burning gasoline or diesel oil builds up carbon deposits in engines. Get some Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover and follow the directions. I clean for copper fouling then clean again with the C4, it's amazing how much it removes and how easily. Usually powder and copper solvents won't handle the carbon, and C4 works quicker than Wipe-Out and Wipe-Out Accelerator together (although they recently "improved" the formula). You'll need some nylon bore brushes also.
xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

I am needing help finding the Re-10x powder. I currently use 4895, but since everybody is having great luck in their rifles, I want to test some out in my 204. I am located in MO and cannot find any Re-10x powder on MidwayUSA's website. Am I looking in the wrong place? It's made by Alliant and on their website it says MidwayUSA is a dealer.. I'm wanting some of this powder!!! Thanks for all of your help!!
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

xr10065669 wrote:I am needing help finding the Re-10x powder. I currently use 4895, but since everybody is having great luck in their rifles, I want to test some out in my 204. I am located in MO and cannot find any Re-10x powder on MidwayUSA's website. Am I looking in the wrong place? It's made by Alliant and on their website it says MidwayUSA is a dealer.. I'm wanting some of this powder!!! Thanks for all of your help!!

Here ya go. Powder valley has both 1 and 5 lb jugs on hand. Dave
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

Thanks greystone!